- spectral analysis of baseflow and groundwater head fluctuations to derive effective regional aquifer parameters
- numerical groundwater modelling
- high performance computing
- goal oriented modelling and complexity assessment
- machine learning
- Klitzsch, N., Houben, T., Brunner, M., Kleinow, R., 2014: Geophysical prospection of siderite concretions in sediments – a feasibility study. Applied Geophysics and Geothermal Energy, E.ON Energy Research Center, RWTH Aachen University
- Using machine learning to spatially estimate soil moisture in an agricultural field., Boog, J., Ebeling, P., Houben, T., Khurana, S., Schmid, J., Schmidt, L.. 5th Data Science Symposium, Helmholtz-Zentrum für Ozeanforschung Kiel, GEOMAR
- From dynamic groundwater head measurements to regional aquifer parameters., Houben, T., Kalbacher, T., Pujades, E., Dietrich, P., Attinger, S.. December 2019. AGU Fall Meeting 2019. San Francisco. Presentation (9.8 MB)
- When does model complexity pay off? A case study for groundwater modelling., Houben, T., de Rooij, G., Attinger, S., Kalbacher, T., Dietrich, P., October 2018. TERENO International Conference 2018. Berlin.
- Inferring regional aquifer parameters by spectral analysis of groundwater head fluctuations - A feasibility study. Houben, T., Estanislao Pujades, Mariaines Di Dato, Rohini Kumar, Sabine Attinger. iPoster at AGU Fall Meting 2020. Online Conference.
- Regional aquifer parameters by spectral analysis of groundwater head fluctuations – a synthetic study. Houben, T., Kalbacher, T., Dietrich and S. Attinger. EGU General Assembly 2019. Vienna. EGU_19 (5.4 MB)
- Machine Learning Café. Chair: Timo Houben, Co-Chair: Lennart Schmidt, Swamini Khurana. You are new to machine learning and need an overview? Or you just want to talk about your challenges in your studies in an informal setting? Grab a coffee and visit us in Building 7.1, room 301 on Thursdays from 4:30 p.m. Be up to date and have a look at our GitLab-Repo. Looking forward to study with you!
- PhD-Team Data Science. Chair: Swamini Khurana, Co-Chair: Timo Houben. You are doing your PhD at UFZ and are interested in data science? Come and join us! Further info right here.
Geoecological Field Course, 2019, University of Potsdam
- Hydrochemistry: Theory and regional setting of groundwater and surface water bodies in the vicinity of the research station in Gülpe, groundwater and surface water sampling, evaluation of chemical analysis of water samples
- Climatology: Theory of terrain climatology with focus on the Havel meadow as well as measurement systems at the climate stations, manual measurement of climatic parameters, data visualization and analysis