Dr. Rohini Kumar
My research work mainly focus on developing and establishing a robust multiscale parametrization scheme for water and solute transport modeling in meso-to-macro-scale river basins (>103-6 km2). Current work include development of spatially distributed land surface hydrologic models (mHM), innovative methods for providing reliable predictions of hydroclimatic extremes (floods and droughts), prediction in ungauged basins (PUB), assessing and utilizing remote sensing data-sets, geostatistics and optimization algorithms, uncertainty and risk assessment for integrated water resources management, and artificial intelligence techniques for rainfall-runoff modelling. For more information, please refer to our research website
- Samaniego, L., R. Kumar, and S. Attinger (2010), Multiscale parameter regionalization of a grid-based hydrologic model at the mesoscale, Water Resource Research, 46, W05523, doi:10.1029/2008WR007327, [WRR-Editor's Choice Awards 2010 -"The selection is made by the WRR Editors based on technical significance, novelty, originality, presentation, and broader implications of the publication". And here they are the nominees (less than 1% of the papers published by the journal)"].
- Kumar, R., L. Samaniego, and S. Attinger (2012), Implications of distributed hydrologic model parameterization on water fluxes at multiple scales and locations. Water Resource Research, doi:10.1029/2012WR012195, [AGU highlight in EOS research spotlight: Does parameterization technique affect simulations of water fluxes? Eos Trans. AGU, 94(13), 131.]
- Kumar, R., B. Livneh, L. Samaniego (2013), Towards computationally efficient large-scale hydrologic predictions with a multiscale regionalization scheme. Water Resource Research, 49(9), doi:10.1002/wrcr.2043 [WRR editors highlights: Toward computationally efficient large-scale hydrologic predictions. Highlights include enriched and related content of notable journal articles presented on Eos org AGU org AGU On Demand and in AGU journals]
- Singh, R., and R. Kumar (2015), Vulnerability of water availability in India due to climate change: A bottom-up probabilistic Budyko analysis, Geophys. Res. Lett., 42, 9799–9807, doi:10.1002/2015GL066363.
- Kumar, R., Musuuza, J. L., Van Loon, A. F., Teuling, A. J., Barthel, R., Ten Broek, J., Mai, J., Samaniego, L., and Attinger, S. (2016), Multiscale evaluation of the Standardized Precipitation Index as a groundwater drought indicator, Hydrol. Earth Syst. Sci., 20, 1117-1131, doi:10.5194/hess-20-1117-2016, 2016.
- Rakovec, O., Kumar, R., et al., (2016): Multiscale and multivariate evaluation of water fluxes and states over European river basins, J. Hydrometeorol. doi: 10.1175/JHM-D-15-0054.1
- Samaniego, L., S. Thober, R. Kumar, et al., (2018): Anthropogenic warming exacerbates European soil moisture droughts. Nature Climate Change, doi:10.1038/s41558-018-0138-5
- Thober, S., R.Kumar, et. al., (2018): Multi-model ensemble projections of European river floods and high flows at 1.5, 2, and 3 degree global warming, Env. Res. Lett., doi:10.1088/1748-9326/aa9e35.
- Samaniego, L., S. Thober, ..., R. Kumar (2019) Hydrological forecasts and projections for improved decision-making in the water sector in Europe, Bull. Amer. Meteor. Soc., doi: 10.1175/BAMS-D-17-0274.1
UFZ Research Award 2017
Water Resources Research (AGU), 2010 Editor's Choice Award
Award of DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service) fellowship for Master project in Germany at Dresden University of Technology from September 2005 to May 2006.
Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Govt. of India, Scholarship award for Post graduation study (2004-2005).
Geophysical Research Letter (agu) Water Resources Research (AGU), Journal of Hydrology (Elsevier), Advances in Water Resources (Elsevier), Hydrology and Earth System Sciences (EGU), Hydrological Sciences Journal (IAHS), Computers & Geosciences (Elsevier), Environmental Modelling & Software (Elsevier), Hydrogeology Journal (Springer), Stochastic Environmental Research and Risk Assessment (Springer)
EGU-2013: Session titled "Data & Models, Induction & Prediction, Information & Uncertainty: Towards a common framework for model building and predictions in the Geosciences", European Geosciences Union General Assembly-2013, Vienna, Austria, (Convener: Uwe Ehret ; Co-Conveners: Hoshin Gupta, Steven Weijs, Rohini Kumar, Bodo Ahrens, Erwin Zehe)
AGU-2013: Session titled "Regional hydroclimatic observations, patterns, changes, and implications for modeling", American Geophysical Union, Fall Meeting-2013, San Francisco, California, (Convener: Benjamin Livneh; Co-conveners: Stacey A. Archfield, Rohini Kumar, Riddhi Singh)
EGU-2014: Session titled "Data & Models, Induction & Prediction, Information & Uncertainty: Towards a common framework for model building and predictions in the Geosciences", European Geosciences Union General Assembly-2014, Vienna, Austria, (Convener: Uwe Ehret ; Co-Conveners: Bodo Ahrens, Erwin Zehe, Hoshin Gupta, Rohini Kumar, Steven Weijs)
EGU-2015: Session titled "Data & Models, Induction & Prediction, Information & Uncertainty: Towards a common framework for model building and predictions in the Geosciences", European Geosciences Union General Assembly-2015, Vienna, Austria, (Convener: Uwe Ehret ; Co-Conveners: Hoshin Gupta , Rohini Kumar , Steven Weijs , Bodo Ahrens , Erwin Zehe)
EGU-2016: Union session titled "Models in the Geosciences", European Geosciences Union General Assembly-2015, Vienna, Austria, (Convener: Uwe Ehret ; Co-Conveners: Elena Toth , Hoshin Gupta , Erwin Zehe , Bodo Ahrens , Rohini Kumar , Steven Weijs)