Dr. Ehsan Modiri
Department of Computational Hydrosystems (CHS)
Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research - UFZ
Building 7.1, Room 421
What I do
A major focus of my research is analyzing the performance of hydrological models and improving seasonal forecasting for various hydrometeorological variables.
I specialize in clustering extreme events, inundation regions, or simultaneous events using machine-learning methods. Throughout my career, I have been coding to determine to what extent floods or droughts are interconnected.
As part of the work at the UFZ, I am involved in the ULYSSES project, which seeks to develop better seasonal prediction systems. The description of the project can be seen here.
|2016 - 2022||
University of Stuttgart, Germany
Ph.D. in Hydrology - Faculty of Civil and Environment
Thesis: Clustering simultaneous occurrences of extreme floods in the Neckar catchment
|2010 - 2013||
Islamic Azad University, Science And Research Branch, Iran
M.Sc. in Agricultural meteorology
|2006 - 2010||
University of Tehran, Iran
B.Sc. in Irrigation and Reclamation (Hydrology and Water Resources Science)
- Modiri, E. and Bárdossy, A.: Multidimensional flood analysis challenges and similarities utilizing linear and non-linear approaches, EGU General Assembly 2022, Vienna, Austria, 23–27 May 2022, EGU22-3921, https://doi.org/10.5194/egusphere-egu22-3921, 2022.
- Modiri E.: Climate Change and Concurrency of Extreme Events. In Climate Change 2022 (pp. 151-170). Springer, Cham. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-86290-9_10
- Modiri E, Bardossy A.: Towards a Seasonal Spatial Distribution of Simultaneous Severe Floods. In AGU Fall Meeting Abstracts 2021 Dec (Vol. 2021, pp. NH15D-0464).
- Bárdossy A, Modiri E, Anwar F, Pegram G.: Gridded daily precipitation data for Iran: A comparison of different methods. Journal of Hydrology: Regional Studies. 2021 Dec 1;38:100958. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejrh.2021.100958
- Saemian P, Hosseini-Moghari SM, Fatehi I, Shoarinezhad V, Modiri E, Tourian MJ, Tang Q, Nowak W, Bárdossy A, Sneeuw N.: Comprehensive evaluation of precipitation datasets over Iran. Journal of Hydrology. 2021 Dec 1;603:127054. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2021.127054
- Modiri, E.: Towards new applications of spaceborne technology on flood protection
The United Nations Office for Outer Space Affairs | Space4water, 2021.
- Modiri, E. and Bárdossy, A.: A new insight to daily precipitation estimation using different interpolation methods, EGU General Assembly 2021, online, 19–30 Apr 2021, EGU21-15958, https://doi.org/10.5194/egusphere-egu21-15958, 2021.
- Modiri E, Bárdossy A.: Clustering Simultaneous Occurrences of the Extreme Floods in the Neckar Catchment. Water. 2021; 13(4):399. https://doi.org/10.3390/w13040399
- Modiri E, Bárdossy A.: A robust simulated annealing technique for flood clustering. In AGU Fall Meeting Abstracts 2020 Dec (Vol. 2020, pp. H203-05).
- Modiri, E. Bárdossy, A.: Spatio-temporal determination of the similarity of extreme floods in the Neckar catchment , EGU General Assembly 2020, Online, 4–8 May 2020, EGU2020-10008, https://doi.org/10.5194/egusphere-egu2020-10008, 2020
- Modiri E, Bárdossy A.: Identifying the simultaneous extreme flood behavior in the Neckar catchment, EGU General Assembly 2019, Vienna, Austria, 7–12 April 2019, EGU2019-1251, https://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2019/EGU2019-1251, 2019.
- Modiri E, Bárdossy A.: Clustering the extreme flood magnitude based on dependency structure in upper Neckar catchment, EGU General Assembly 2018, Vienna, Austria, 8–13 April 2018, EGU2018-8841, https://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2018/EGU2018-8841, 2018.