- Vittal Hari, Rohini Kumar, Stephan Thober, Luis Samaniego, and Oldrich Rakovec
- Yannis Markonis, Sadaf Rani, Jan Kysely, Petr Maca, and Martin Hanel
Our new paper on "Increased future occurrences of the exceptional 2018–2019 Central European drought under global warming" was published in Scientific reports. Nature Research highlights. UFZ press-release.
This bilateral/joint German (DFG) - Czech (GACR) project XEROS (meaning 'dry' in Greek) represents a unique opportunity of bringing together two research groups of complementary scientific knowledge. The German-based team (CHS @UFZ) focus on understanding and modelling the complex interaction of land-surface hydrologic processes and their spatial and temporal variability at meso- to macro-scales. The Czech-based team (CULS) have strong scientific background in statistical analysis of hydrologic and climate variability.
The overarching goal of this project is to address the following research questions:
- What is the extremity of the recent European drought events compared to the 500-year benchmark period?
- How does the space-time variability of drought evolution change over time?
- How do the large-scale atmospheric characteristics, responsible to generate land-surface droughts, co-evolve? How can we enhance the reliability of future hydro-climatic projections?
- WP-1a: Historical reconstruction of climate forcing data to allow hydrologic simulations at finer spatial and temporal resolution. [led by the CULS team]
- WP-1b: Multi-model hydrologic simulations of key hydrologic variables [led by the UFZ team]
- WP-2a: Historical characterisation of large scale drought events [led jointly by the UFZ and CULS teams].
- WP-2b: Improved understanding on genesis of the large scale drought events [led by the CULS team]
- WP-3: Enhancing the reliability of future hydro-climatic projections [led by the UFZ team]
- Hari, V., Rakovec, O., Markonis, Y., Hanel, M., & Kumar, R. (2020). Increased future occurrences of the exceptional 2018–2019 Central European drought under global warming. Scientific Reports, 10(1), 1-10
- Moravec, V., Markonis, Y., Rakovec, O., Kumar, R., Hanel, M., (2019): A 250‐year European drought inventory derived from ensemble hydrologic modeling, Geophys. Res. Lett. 46 (11), 5909 - 5917
- Hanel, M., Rakovec, O., Markonis, Y., Máca, P., Samaniego, L., Kyselý, J., Kumar, R., (2018):
Revisiting the recent European droughts from a long-term perspective, Sci. Rep. 8 , art. 9499
- Samaniego, L., Thober, S., Kumar, R., Wanders, N., Rakovec, O., Pan, M., Zink, M., Shefﬁeld, J., Wood, E.F., Marx, A., (2018): Anthropogenic warming exacerbates European soil moisture droughts, Nat. Clim. Chang. 8 (5), 421 - 426
- Marx, A., Kumar, R., Thober, S., Rakovec, O., Wanders, N., Zink, M., Wood, E.F., Pan, M., Sheffield, J., Samaniego, L., (2018): Climate change alters low flows in Europe under global warming of 1.5, 2, and 3 °C, Hydrol. Earth Syst. Sci. 22 (2), 1017 - 1032