My research focus comprises electroactive microorganisms, extracellular electron transfer, and related natural and biotechnological processes. I’m especially interested in the respective thermodynamic and kinetic fundamentals influencing or even governing these processes. By applying bio(electro)calorimetric, modeling, and further electrochemical approaches, I aim to decipher the principles of energy harvest of electrogenic and electrotrophic microorganisms. Only with a comprehensive knowledge about the energy fluxes during extracellular electron transfer, an improvement of energy efficiency of microbial electrochemical technologies and a reasonable engineering thereof is possible.
- 1st place Humboldt-Science-Slam in Altenburg (2019)
- Presentation at Jack Pop's Circus of Science (2019)
- Host of Night of the Microbes at ISME17 in Leipzig (2018, together with Federica Calabrese)
- 1st place ScienceSlam hosted by "Frankesche Stiftungen & HALternativ e.v." in Halle/Saale (2017)
- 1st place Science Slam at the doctoral candidates day in Leipzig (2017)
- 1st place 5. Leipziger Science Slam (2016)
- 1st place Microbe Slam at the annual meeting of VAAM in Jena (2016)
- Helmholtz-PhD award 2017, Research Area "Energy"
- Best Oral Presentation Award EU-ISMET 2016
- Abstract Award & Best Oral Presentation Award ISMET 2015
- 09/2018-12/2018: Prof. Sebastià Puig Broch, Laboratory of Chemical and Environmental Engineering (LEQUIA), University of Girona
- 11/2013 & 11/2015-12/2015: Dr. Cristian Picioreanu, Department of Biotechnology, Technical University of Delft