- Electro-microbiology with particular focus on the extracellular electron transfer pathway and microbial phenotype
- Bottom-up electro-biosynthesis process development driven by quantitative and holistic understandings from biochemistry, electrochemistry and process engineering
- Digitalization and modelling of electro-biotechnological process
2020 Leistungsprämie, UFZ, Germany
2015 Graduate School International Travel Award, UQ, Australia
2015 Research Higher Degree Top-up Scholarship, UQ, Australia
2014 Research Higher Degree International Scholarship, UQ, Australia
2014 Research Higher Degree Research Scholarship, UQ, Australia
2023 Editorial board member, Microbial Biotechnology, Wiley;
2022 Guest Special Issue Editor, Microbial Biotechnology, Wiley;
2022 Review Editor Board in synthetic biology, Frontiers in Bioengineering and Biotechnology, Frontiers
2021 Guest Associate Editor, Frontiers in Bioengineering and Biotechnology, Frontiers
2021 Early-Career Editorial Board, Environmental Science and Ecotechnology, Elsevier
Reviewers (incomplete list)
Chem, Biosensors & Bioelectronics, Essays in Biochemistry, Biotechnology for Biofuel, Bioelectrochemistry, Environmental Science & Ecotechnology, ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering, ACS Synthetic Biology, International Journal of Hydrogen Research, etc
2022 ERC, Europe
2021 Rhodes University, South Africa
2016 Fondazione Cariplo Foundation, Italy
- Lai B., Manuel R. Plan, Nils J.H. Averesch, et al. (2016)
Quantitative analysis of aromatics for synthetic biology using liquid chromatography.
Biotechnology Journal. 2017 12(1)
- Lai B., Plan M.R., Hodson M.P., and Krömer J. O. (2016)
Simultaneous determination of sugars, carboxylates,alcohols and aldehydes from fermentations by high performance liquid chromatography.
Fermentation, 2(1): 6
- Lai B., Yu S., Bernhardt P.Y., et al. (2016)
Anoxic metabolism and biochemical production in Pseudomonas putida F1 driven by a bioelectrochemical system.
Biotechnology for Biofuels, 9: 39.
- Wang P., Lai B., Li H. and Du Z.(2013)
Deposition of Fe on graphite felt by thermal decomposition of Fe(CO)5 for effective cathodic preparation of microbial fuel cells.
Bioresource Technology, 134: 30-35.
- Lai B., Wang P., Li H., et al. (2013)
Calcined polyaniline–iron composite as a high efficient cathodic catalyst in microbial fuel cells.
Bioresource Technology, 131: 321-324.
- Lai B., Liu X. and Li H. (2011)
Mechanism of microbial dissimilatory reduction marine nodules.
Journal of Central South University of Technology (Science and Technology), 42(2): 356-360.
- Lai B., Tang X., Li H., et al. (2011)
Power production enhancement with a polyaniline modified anode in microbial fuel cells.
Biosensors & Bioelectronics, 28(1): 373-377.
- Li H., Liu X., Ma Y. and Lai B. (2011)
Development status of carbonyl nickel production technology.
Fenmo Yejin Jishu/Powder Metallurgy Technology, 29(4):290-295.
- Yang Z.-H., Zeng R., Li X.-K., Lv Z.-S., Lai B., et al. (2009)
Tolerance of Immobilized Yeast Cells in Imidazolium-Based Ionic Liquids.
Food Technology and Biotechnology, 47(1):62-66.
- Yang Z.-H., Zeng R.,Yang G., Wang Y., Li L.-Z., Lv Z.-S., Yao M. and Lai B. (2008)
Asymmetric reduction of prochiral ketones to chiral alcohols catalyzed by plants tissue.
Journal of Industrial Microbiology & Biotechnology, 35(9) 1047-1051.
- Bin Lai, Hans Schneider, Maximillian Feußner, Jens Krömer. The Biophotovoltaics for biohydrogen production using sunlight and water. Metabolic Engineering 15 conference, Singapore, June 11-14, 2023
- Bin Lai, Hans Schneider, Maximillian Feußner, Jens Krömer. The Biophotovoltaics for biohydrogen production using sunlight and water. The 8th International conference-International Society for Microbial Electrochemistry and Technology (ISMET8), Chania, Crete, Greece, Sep.19-23, 2022
Inviated talk: Bin Lai. Biophotovoltaics for biohydrogen production. MIKAT workshop oh photobiotechnology III: products, perspectives and technologies. Leipzig, Germany, Dec.13-14, 2021 (online)
- Bin Lai, Hans Schneider, Maximillian Feußner, Andreas Schmid, Jens O. Krömer. Biophotovoltaics for hydrogen production using cyanobacteria. 5th European Meeting-International Society for Microbial Electrochemistry and Technology (EU-ISMET5), Girona, Spain, Sep.13-15, 2021 (online)
- Bin Lai. Systems electro-biotechnology: balancing electrons with electrode for biosynthesis process. 31st Annual meeting for Chinese-German Chemical Association, Leipzig, Germany, May 9-12, 2019.
- Invited talk: Bin Lai. Anode-driven biochemical production with Pseudomonas putida. Kick-off symposium of PhD College STROMER, UFZ-Leipzig, Germany, Sep. 21, 2018
- Bin Lai, Jens Krömer. Pseudomonas putida as anodic platform for targeted and controllable biochemical production. 4th European Meeting-International Society for Microbial Electrochemistry and Technology (EU-ISMET4), Newcastle, United Kingdom, Sep. 12-14, 2018
- Invited talk: Bin Lai. When microorganism meets electricity: microbial electrochemical technique and systems biology. 2018 East-Forum of Chinese-German Chemical Association (CGCA), Leipzig, Germany, Mar. 11, 2018
- Shiqin Yu, Bin Lai, Jens Krömer*. Electrofermentation As a Tool to Balance Redox in Engineered Pseudomonas Putida. Metabolic Engineering 11, 2016, Japan
- Hans Schneider, Bin Lai, Jens O. Krömer (2022). Utilizing cyanobacteria in Biophotovoltaics -- an emerging field in Bioelectrochemistry. In: Katja Bühler and Pia Lindgerg (Eds.) Advances in Biochemical Engineering/Biotechnology, volume 10 “Cyanobacteria in Biotechnology: Applications and Quantitative Perspectives”. Springer, Berlin, Germany.
- Bin Lai, Jens O. Krömer (2019). Steering redox metabolism in P. putida with microbial electrochemical technologies. In: Sonia M. Tiquia-Arashiro and Deepak Pant (Eds.) Microbial Electrochemical Technologies (pp 59-75). Boca Raton, Florida, the United States, CRC Press (Taylor & Francis Group)
- Abudukeremu Kadier, Yong Jiang, Bin Lai, Pankaj Kumar Rai, Kuppam Chandrasekhar, Azah Mohamed, Mohd Sahaid Kalil (2018)
Biohydrogen production in Microbial electrolysis cells (MECs) from renewable resources.
In: Bioenergy and Biofuels. Konur, O. Eds; CRC Press (Taylor & Francis Group)
- Bin Lai, Yafeng Liu, Shuguang Dong, Hao Jin, Kangping Chen.
A photovoltaic modules and photovoltaic power plant system.
China Patent CN104426475B, Issued March 8th, 2017
- Bin Lai, Yafeng Liu, Hao Jin, Kangping Chen, Gendre Le.
A solar cell photovoltaic modules.
China Patent CN103022171B, Issued May 4th, 2016.
- Haoran Li, Peng Wang, Bin Lai.
Device and method for preparing iron-carbon composite electrode material by carbonyl iron deposition.
China Patent CN103066303B, Issued July 1st, 2015