I specialise in interdisciplinary research that aims to deliver solutions to address real-world environmental problems. I believe that successful conservation solutions must involve working with nature and engaging with humans if they are to succeed. Currently, I am focused on investigating the inter-relationships between people’s nature/biodiversity experiences, connection to nature, environmentally protective attitudes/behaviour and health and wellbeing outcomes. I am particularly keen on investigating these relationships in the context of extreme urbanisation and climate change, and would love to extend research to South America, African and Asian cities. I very much enjoy drawing on public health, epidemiological and conservation disciplines to strengthen the evidence base for nature-health studies, and to develop policies and strategies that will benefit both people and nature. Do reach out if you’d like to chat more!
You could use our publication index for further requests.
- Oh RRY, Fielding KS, Nghiem LTP, Chang C-C, Shanahan DF, Gaston KJ, Carrasco RL & Fuller RA. (2021). Factors influencing nature interactions vary between cities and types of nature interactions. People and Nature. https://doi.org/10.1002/pan3.10181
- Berdejo-Espinola V, Suarez-Castro AF, Amano T., Fielding KS, Oh RRY & Fuller RA (in press) Urban green spaces during a time of stress: A case study of social resilience during the COVID-pandemic in Brisbane, Australia
- Oh RRY, Fielding KS, Carrasco RL & Fuller RA. (2020). No evidence of an extinction of experience or emotional disconnect from nature in urban Singapore. People and Nature. https://doi.org/10.1002/pan3.10148
- Nghiem LTP, Zhang Y, Oh RRY, Chang C-C., Tan CLY, Shanahan DF, Lin BB, Gaston KJ, Fuller RA & Carrasco, L. R. (2021). Equity in green and blue space availability in Singapore. Landscape and Urban Planning, 210, 104083.
- Tan CLY, Chang C-C., Nghiem LTP, Zhang Y, Oh RRY, Shanahan DF, Lin BB, Gaston KJ, Fuller RA & Carrasco, L. R. (2021). The right mix: Residential urban green-blue space combinations are correlated with physical exercise in a tropical city-state. Urban Forestry & Urban Greening, 57, 126947. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ufug.2020.126947
- Chang C-C, Oh RRY, Nghiem LTP, Zhang Y, Tan CLY, Lin BB, Gaston KJ, Fuller RA & Carrasco LR. (2020). Life satisfaction linked to the diversity of nature experiences and nature views from the window. Landscape and Urban Planning, 202, 103874. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.landurbplan.2020.103874
- Meng YW, Forcina G, van Grouw H, Oh RRY & Rheindt FE. (2020) Historic and modern genomes unveil a domestic introgression gradient in a wild red junglefowl population. Evolutionary Applications, 00, 1 – 16. https://doi.org/10.1111/eva.13023
- Chang C-C, Cheng GJYC, Nghiem LTP, Song XP, Oh RRY, Richards DR & Carrasco LR. (2020) Social media, nature, and life satisfaction: global evidence of the biophilia hypothesis. Scientific Reports, 10, 4125. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-020-60902-w
- Cros E, Ng EYX, Oh RRY, Tang Q, Benedick S, Edwards D, Tomassi S, Irestedt M, Ericsson P & Rheindt F. (2020) Fine-scale barriers to connectivity across a fragmented Southeast Asian landscape in six songbird species. Evolutionary Applications. 1, 1 – 11. https://doi.org/10.1111/eva.12918
- Wanger TC, Ainun N, Brook BW, Friess DA, Oh RRY, Rusdin A, Smithers S & Tjoa A. (2020) Ecosystem-Based Tsunami Mitigation for Tropical Biodiversity Hotspots. Trends in Ecology & Evolution. 35(2), 96 – 100. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tree.2019.10.008
- Richards DR, Law A, Tan CSY, Shaikh SFEB, Carrasco LR, Jaung W & Oh RRY. (2020). Rapid urbanisation in a tropical city-state causes a shift from provisioning and regulating to cultural ecosystem services use over 50 years. Ecosystem Services, 46, 101193. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoser.2020.101193
2019 and earlier
- Richards DR, Masoudi M, Oh RRY, Yando ES, Zhang J, Friess DA, Gret-Regamey A, Tan PY & Edwards P. (2019) Global variation in climate, human development, and population density as implications for urban ecosystem services. Sustainability, 11(22), 6200. https://doi.org/10.3390/su11226200
- Oh RRY, Yee ATK & Richards DR (2018) Community-driven skyrise greenery in a dense tropical city provides biodiversity and ecosystem service benefits. Landscape and Urban Planning, 169, 115 – 123. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.landurbplan.2017.08.014
- Ng EYX, Garg KM, Low GW, Chattopadhyay B, Oh RRY, Lee JGH & Rheindt F (2017) Conservation genomics identifies impact of trade in a threatened songbird. Biological Conservation, 214, 101 – 108. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biocon.2017.08.007
- Oh RRY, Friess DA & Brown MB (2017) Surface elevation as a predictor of mangrove rehabilitation success in abandoned aquaculture ponds, Sulawesi, Indonesia. Ecological Engineering, 100, 325 – 334. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoleng.2016.12.021
- Richards DR, Passy P, & Oh RRY (2017) Impacts of population density and wealth on the quantity and structure of urban green space in tropical Southeast Asia. Landscape and Urban Planning, 157, 553-560. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.landurbplan.2016.09.005
- Friess DA, Phelps J, Leong RC, Lee WK, Wee AKS, Sivasothi N, Oh RRY, Webb WL (2012) Mandai mangrove, Singapore: Lessons for the conservation of Southeast Asia’s mangroves. The Raffles Bulletin of Zoology, 25, 55 – 65. https://lkcnhm.nus.edu.sg/wp-content/uploads/sites/10/app/uploads/2017/06/s25rbz055-065.pdf