Theodosiou Eleni studied Food Science and Technology from 1996 to 2001 at the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (AUTH) with specialization on Food Biotechnology and Microbiology. During her master thesis (2001-2003) she worked at the Laboratory of Food Engineering and Processing (AUTH) on the optimization of β-carotene production by Blakeslea trispora. In her Ph.D. (2004-2009) in the group of Prof. Kolisis, at the Department of Chemical Engineering (National Technical University of Athens), she investigated the biotransformation of natural compounds using hydrolases in non-conventional media. During her Ph.D. (2004-2006) she cooperated with the Department of Conservation of Antiquities and Works of Art (TEI of Athens) for the development of enzymatic methods for the cleaning of museum objects. From 2007 to 2008 she worked as guest researcher in the group of Pro. Bornscheuer (Dept. of Biotechnology & Enzyme Catalysis, University of Greifswald) where she gained hands-on experience on strategies for the design of tailor made biocatalysts.
- Applied biocatalysis and biotransformations
- Industrial Microbiology
- Metabolic engineering
Grants & Awards
- Postgraduate Scholarships by the Greek State Scholarships Foundation (IKY) (2002-2003, 2005-2007) after nationwide examinations on Food Biotechnology and Microbiology
- Theodosiou E., Purchartová K., Stamatis H., Kolisis F. and Křen V. (2013)
Bioavailability of silymarin: Drug formulations and biotransformation.
Phytochemistry Reviews, DOI-Link
- Theodosiou E., Loutrari H., Stamatis H., Roussos C. and Kolisis F. (2011)
Biocatalytic synthesis and antitumor activities of novel silybin acylated derivatives with dicarboxylic acids.
New Biotechnology, 28(342-348), DOI-Link
- Xanthakis E., Theodosiou E., Stamatis H., Magkouta S., Loutrari H., Roussos C. and Kolisis F. (2010)
Enzymatic transformation of flavonoids and terpenoids: Structural and functional diversity of the novel derivatives.
Pure and Applied Chemistry, 82(1-16), DOI-Link
- Theodosiou E., Katsoura M. H., Loutrari H., Purchartová K., Křen V., Kolisis F. and Stamatis H. (2009)
Enzymatic preparation of acylated derivatives of silybin in organic and ionic liquids media and evaluation of their anti-tumor proliferative activity.
Biocatalysis and Biotransformations, 27(161-169), DOI-Link
- Theodosiou E. (2009)
PhD Thesis: Strategies for the biocatalytic modification of natural antioxidants.
National Technical University of Athens, Athens, Greece
- Katsoura M. H., Theodosiou E., Stamatis H. and Kolisis F. (2009)
Strategies for the biocatalytic lipophilization of phenolic antioxidants.
in Fessner W.-D. and Anthonsen T., Modern Biocatalysis: Stereoselective and Environmentally-Friendly Reactions.
Wiley-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, Weinheim, Germany, DOI-Link
Roukas T., Mantzouridou F., Theodosiou E., Kotzekidou P. and Liakopoulou-Kiriakidou M. (2004)
Method for producing β-carotene.