Areas of Expertise & Research
- Sustainable urban development, resource efficiency and quality of life (local land use changes and land consumption, density changes, impacts on Ecosystem Services)
- Urban and regional development (growth and shrinkage, spatial forms of organisation, local migration regimes, core-hinterland relations, European urban database and data analysis)
- European Spatial Development Policy (Spatial observations of structures, trends and current challenges; territorial cohesion and competitiveness)
- Development of indicator concepts (demographic regimes, labor market, social diversification), GIS-based statistical analysis of spatial structures and trends, delineation of spatial units
- Project-Member und Webmaster, COST Action TU0803: „CIRES – Cities Regrowing Smaller“
- PhD Academy - The Shrinking Cities International Research Network (SCiRN™)
- Member, Young Academics der Association of European Schools of Planning
- Member, Young Professionals’ Forum der Akademie für Raumforschung und Landesplanung
ENABLE - Enabling Green and Blue Infrastructure Potential in Complex Social-Ecological Regions: A System Approach for Assessing Local Solutions (Lead: Stockholm Resilience Centre)
3S RECIPE: Smart Shrinkage Solutions - Fostering Resilient Cities in Inner Peripheries of Europe (Lead: University of Oxford, scientific board)
01/2017 – 02/2017
Project PolyGreen – Polycentric adaptation through spatially heterogeneous urban Green, Preparation of HORIZON 2020 Call (project RE-IMAGINE), Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin
09/2016 – 02/2017
Patterns of vacancies in Germany – Creating a knowledge base for successful regeneration strategies in cities and municipalities, Federal Institute for Research on Building, Urban Affairs and Spatial Development (BBSR).
08/2016 – 09/2016
WAHYKLAS - Forest hygienic adaptation strategies for the increasing potential of harmful organisms in vulnerable regions taking into account climate change and increasing restrictions
(Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research (PIK), Global Change and Natural Systems Department, Climate Impacts and Vulnerabilities)
07/2016 – 09/2016
DIVERCITIES - Governing Urban Diversity: Creating Social Cohesion, Social Mobility and Economic Performance in Today's Hyper-diversified Cities
11/2014 – 01/2016
Trajectoires Démographiques des Villes Européennes (TraDeVE), 1950-2010
Lead Partner: Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne, UMR Géographie-cités
07/2014 - 07/2015
Demographic Typology for European municipalities, Feasibility study (client: Bertelsmann-Stiftung)
09/2009 - 09/2013
Theoretical-methodological framework for Shrinking Cities as well as statistical and spatial analysis of cities across Europe. Coordination of sub-project “Mapping urban shrinkage in Europe”.
01/2012 - 06/2012
Structural analysis of supply and demand (housing owners, housing type, housing quality, housing motive).
09/2011 - 02/2012
Housing report of state capital Dresden 2011.
Demographic trends and migration patterns of Dresden suburban region. Analysis of relevant housing demand.
08/2011 - 09/2011
University of Nottingham, School of Geography. 7th Framework Program (Socio-economic Sciences and Humanities) of the European Commission. Theory-based analysis of Governance structures in shrinking cities of Europe via GIS-techniques.