Dr. rer. nat.
Department Environmental Informatics
Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research - UFZ
Permoserstr. 15, 04103 Leipzig, Germany
Tel: +49 341 235 1884
- Shallow Geothermal- Numerical modeling of heat transfer between Borehole Heat Exchangers and surrounding subsurface
- Analysis and optimization of long-term performance of Ground Source Heat Pump System (GSHP)
- Application of shallow subsurface for thermal storage
- Deep Geothermal
- Geothermal reservoir numerical model construction and analysis
- Analysis of coupled processes in the vicinity of wellbore
- Modelling partially saturated and multiphase flow process in the subsurface, with particular focus on the non-isothermal phase change behavior.
- Scaling and corrosion issues in high-temperature geothermal reservoirs
- Reactive Transport Modeling- Numerical modeling of water-rock interactions
- Geochemical processes under high temperature high pressure environment
- Geochemically coupled processes in the context of nuclear waste repository
- Software Development
- Implementation of relevant numerical schemes and features for the scientific software OpenGeoSys.
Winter Semester 2018-2019
Lecture, exercise and practice: Geoströmungsmodellierung (Geo-Fluid Modeling)
every Friday 07:30-09:00 (all weeks)
and 14:00-15:30 (odd weeks, e.g. KW43, KW45......)
TGB-22TT, Gustav-Zeuner-Straße 1a, 2. Obergeschoss, Freiberg
For students of this course, please find relevant course materials in the following links.
Winter Semester 2018-2019
Lecture: Hydrogeology IV
KW45(09.11), KW47(23.11), KW49(07.12), KW01(04.01), KW03(18.01)
TGB-22TT / Computer Pool, Gustav-Zeuner-Straße 1a, 2. Obergeschoss, Freiberg
Summary of publications and citations
ISI listed scientific publications as of July 2019: 38
Number of citations listed in ISI: 853 H-index: 14
ResearcherID, ResearchGate, ORCID
Featured Recent Publications
- Boyan Meng, Thomas Vienken, Olaf Kolditz, Haibing Shao* (2019): Evaluating the thermal impacts and sustainability of intensive shallow geothermal utilization on a neighborhood scale: Lessons learned from a case study, Energy Conversion and Management, Accepted.
- Chaofan Chen, Haibing Shao*, Dmitrii Naumov, Yanlong Kong, Kun Tu, Olaf Kolditz (2019):
Numerical investigation on the performance, sustainability, and efficiency of the deep borehole heat exchanger system for building heating, Geothermal Energy 7: 18. https://doi.org/10.1186/s40517-019-0133
- Yonghui Huang, Haibing Shao*, Erich Wieland, Olaf Kolditz, Georg Kosakowski (2018) A new approach to coupled two-phase reactive transport simulation for long-term degradation of concrete, Construction and Building Materials 190: 805-829. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2018.09.114
- Renchao Lu, Thomas Nagel, Hua Shao, Olaf Kolditz, Haibing Shao (2018) Modeling of Dissolution‐Induced Permeability Evolution of a Granite Fracture Under Crustal Conditions, Journal of Geophysical Research: Solid Earth 123(7): 5609-5627. https://doi.org/10.1029/2018JB015702
- Philipp Hein, Ke Zhu, Anke Bucher, Olaf Kolditz, Zhonghe Pang, Haibing Shao* (2016) Quantification of exploitable shallow geothermal energy by using Borehole Heat Exchanger coupled Ground Source Heat Pump systems, Energy Conversion and Management 127: 80-89. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2016.08.097
05.2014 - today
W1-Junior Professor “Geothermal System Analysis”
in the Faculty of Geoscience, Geotechnics and Mining,
TU Bergakamedie Freiberg (TU BAF)
04.2010 – 10.2010
Earth Science Division,
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBNL), Berkeley, CA, U.S.A.,
visiting researcher on the topic of numerical modeling of CO2 geological sequestration process.
08.2009 - today
Helmholtz Centre of Environmental Research-UFZ, Leipzig, Germany;
Research Assistant, Staff Scientist.
Member of the OpenGeoSys developers’ team.
PhD: 06.2007 – 07.2010
Helmholtz Centre of Environmental Research-UFZ, Leipzig, Germany
Dresden University of Technology (TU Dresden)
Grade: magna cum laude (sehr gut)
Master: 09.2005 – 05.2007
Applied Environmental Geosciences,
Eberhard Karls University of Tübingen, Germany
Grade: 1.2/5 (excellent)
Bachelor: 09. 2001 – 08. 2005
Tongji University, Shanghai, China