Block course: Physical Limnology 2022
(This course will be held during the time 28th March 1st April 2022. We hope that we will be back to normal in-person operation by then. )
Currently (Nov. 2021), the corona situation in Germany is developing badly. We have high incidences. As a consequence, restrictions have been implemented and as a consequence of that, lectures can only be attended by vaccinated or recovered participants with proof. We hope this will remain so, but we cannot exclude that even tighter restrictions on travel and participation will be enforced. We still ask interested participants from outside to contact us by email. If participation in person will not be possible, we will look into other possibilities to let you attend lectures.
Please be aware that all booking of travel tickets and accomodation will be in the full responsibility of the participant.
In 2022, the block course will comprise the curriculum lectres by Prof. Andreas Lorke, Dr. Bertram Boehrer and Prof. Marco Toffolon.
- Stratification and circulation of lakes, Navier Stokes – eq.
– solutes, solubility, electrical conductivity
– density, stability and mixing, deep water renewal
– surface waves, seiche, interfacial waves
– internal waves
- properties of internal waves
- Permanent stratification, meromixis, climate sensitivity
- Turbulence I: Introduction to turbulence
- Turbulence II: Spectral characteristics and measurements
- Turbulence III: Momentum and mass transport in turbulent boundary layers
- Turbulence IV: Living in turbulence: biological – physical interactions
- wind-driven circulation in lakes
- transport in lakes by turbulent diffusion and shear dispersion
Dr. Bertram Boehrer: Lecturer at Uni-Heidelberg, Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research - UFZ, Magdeburg
Prof. Dr. Andreas Lorke: Professor at University of Landau-Koblenz
Prof. Marco Toffolon: Professor at the University of Trento
We offer this course FREE of charge also to external participants. Students and scientists interested in attending the course are requested to enrol by email to email@example.com no later than 1st Feb. 2022: stating name, scientific affiliation / university. Heidelberg students are also requested to send their student number. For any further information, please address Bertram.Boehrer@ufz.de . There will be more information closer to the course.