Block course: Physical Limnology 2019
This course will be held in the Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research (UFZ) in Magdeburg, Brueckstrasse 3a
during the time 25th February 9:30 to 1st March 2019 13:00.
- Stratification and circulation of lakes, Navier Stokes – eq.
– solutes, solubility, electrical conductivity
– density, stability and mixing, deep water renewal
– surface waves, seiche, interfacial waves
– internal waves
- properties of internal waves
- Permanent stratification, meromixis, climate sensitivity
- Turbulence I: Introduction to turbulence
- Turbulence II: Spectral characteristics and measurements
- Turbulence III: Momentum and mass transport in turbulent boundary layers
- Turbulence IV: Living in turbulence: biological – physical interactions
- precipitation and redissolution of chemicals in lacustrine waters
– seasonal occurrence of organisms in lakes
Dr. Bertram Boehrer: Lecturer at Uni-Heidelberg, Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research - UFZ, Magdeburg
Prof. Dr. Andreas Lorke: Professor at University of Landau-Koblenz
Dr. Martin Schultze: Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research - UFZ, Magdeburg
Dr. Karsten Rinke: Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research - UFZ, Magdeburg
We offer this course FREE of charge also to external participants. Attendees must only fund their travel and accomodation by themselves. To enrol for the course, please write an email to Bertram.Boehrer@ufz.de. Students and scientists interested in attending the course are requested to enrol by email by 1st Feb. 2019: stating name, scientific affiliation / university. Heidelberg students are also requested to send their student number. For any further information, please address Bertram.Boehrer@ufz.de . There will be more information closer to the course.
Thanks to our sponsors we can offer the course free of charge. Participants only need to fund their travel and accomodation themselves.