Block course: Physical Limnology 2021
This course will be held on video only during the time 22nd - 30th March 9:00-12:00 CET (Central European time); plus one daily exercise sheet to solve during the afternoon.
CET = UTC +1 before 28th March 2021; CET= UTC+2 after 28th March 2021
In 2020, the block course will comprise the curriculum lectres by Prof. Andreas Lorke and Dr. Bertram Boehrer. The lectures will be broadcasted by video.
- Stratification and circulation of lakes, Navier Stokes – eq.
– solutes, solubility, electrical conductivity
– density, stability and mixing, deep water renewal
– surface waves, seiche, interfacial waves
– internal waves
- properties of internal waves
- Permanent stratification, meromixis, climate sensitivity
- Turbulence I: Introduction to turbulence
- Turbulence II: Spectral characteristics and measurements
- Turbulence III: Momentum and mass transport in turbulent boundary layers
- Turbulence IV: Living in turbulence: biological – physical interactions
Prof. Dr. Andreas Lorke: Professor at University of Landau-Koblenz
We offer this course FREE of charge also to external participants. Students and scientists interested in attending the course are requested to enrol by email to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 1st Feb. 2021: stating name, scientific affiliation / university. Heidelberg students are also requested to send their student number. For any further information, please address Bertram.Boehrer@ufz.de . There will be more information closer to the course.