Dr. Soohyun Yang
- Spatial organizations and patterns of coupled river-human-engineered networks
- River basin management strategies and environmental regulations/policies
- Basin-scale modelling impacts of anthropogenic pressures on river water quality and aquatic ecosystems integrity
- Adaptation to impacts of climate change in urbanized river basins
International Workshop Experience
- Network Synthesis Workshops, Feb. 11th – 16th 2018, Univ. of Florida; Aug. 9th – 17th 2018, Colorado State Univ. USA.
- International Synthesis Summer School "Network Functional Dynamics – Technological, Human & Ecological Dimensions", Aug. 4th – 18th 2017, TU-Dresden University, Dresden, Germany.
- Synthesis II-Workshop "From Dynamics of Structure to Functions of Complex Networks", Aug. 8th – 19th 2016, TU-Dresden University, Dresden, Germany.
- Synthesis Workshop on "Dynamics of Structure and Functions of Complex Networks", June 29th – July 16th, 2015, Korea University, Seoul, South Korea.
Awards & Honors
- The Future Talent Award (2020), The Korea Federation of Women’s Science & Technology Associations.
- WRR Editor’s Choice Award (2019), Water Resources Research, AGU.
- WRR Editor’s Choice Award (2017), Water Resources Research, AGU.
- Young Scientist’s Travel Award (2015), EGU General Assembly 2015.
- Young Woman Researcher Award (2014), Center for Women in Science, Engineering and Technology & Korean Society of Civil Engineers.
- Best Student Paper Award (2014), Korean Society of Civil Engineers.
- Yang, S., Buettner, O., Kumar, R., Jaeger, C., Jawitz, J. W., Rao, P. S. C., and Borchardt, D. (2019). Spatial patterns of water quality impairments from point source nutrient loads in Germany's largest national River Basin (Weser River). Science of the Total Environment, 697, 134145. doi: 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2019.134145.
- Yang, S., Buettner, O., Jawitz, J. W., Kumar, R., Rao, P. S. C., and Borchardt, D. (2019). Spatial organization of human population and wastewater treatment plants in urbanized river basins. Water Resources Research, 55, 6138–6152. doi: 10.1029/2018WR024614. This research was received the WRR Editor’s Choice Award 2019
- Krueger, E., Borchardt, D., Jawitz, J. W., Klammler, H., Yang, S., Zischg, J., and Rao, P. S. C. (2019). Resilience dynamics of urban water supply security and potential of tipping points. Earth's Future, 7, 1167–1191. doi:10.1029/2019EF001306
- Klinkhamer, C., Zischg, J., Krueger, E., Yang, S., Blumensaat, F., Urich, C., Kaeseberg, T., Paik, K., Borchardt, D., Silva, J. R., Sitzenfrei, R., Rauch, W., McGrath, G., Krebs, P., Ukkusuri, S., and Rao, P. S. C. (2019). Topological Convergence of Urban Infrastructure Networks. arXiv:1902.01266
- Yang, S., Paik, K., McGrath, G., Urich, C., Kruger, E., Kumar P., and Rao, C. (2017) Functional Topology of Evolving Urban Drainage Networks. Water Resources Research, doi: 10.1002/2017WR021555. This research was received the WRR Editor’s Choice Award 2017 and highlighted as Research Spotlights on Eos published by AGU ( https://eos.org/research-spotlights/urban-sewers-evolve-similarly-to-river-networks)
- Yang, S. and Paik, K. (2017), New findings on river network organization: Law of eigenarea and relationships among hortonian scaling ratios. Fractals, 25(03), 1750029. doi: 10.1142/s0218348x17500293.