Symbol Pflege

Bearing responsibility for care

When a relative in the family requires care, numerous questions arise for working family members. The social environment must find a solution as to where and in what form care can be provided. Working relatives of persons in need of care can, if necessary, take time off from work, regulated by the Caregiver Leave Act (Pflegezeitgesetz) or Family Care Leave Act (Familienpflegezeitgesetz).

Checkliste Pflegefall

Here you will find advice on what to consider when a care event occurs and whom to contact for further questions:


Here you will find summarised information on all leave of absence options in accordance to the Caregiver Leave Act and the Family Care Leave Act:


f you wish, think about keeping in touch during (family) care leave and plan your re-entry according to your individual needs and discuss this with your line manager.

Before the (family) caregiver leave

Discuss with your line manager:

  • your needs as well as the framework conditions of the (family) care leave
  • ensuring access to the IT workplace

On this website you will find further information on the topic of care.

During the (family) caregiver leave

If you wish, you are welcome to use the opportunity to stay in contact with the UFZ/your team during your care leave. Before your return, a re-entry interview with your line manager offers the opportunity to discuss the following topics:

  • Tasks and organisational framework conditions
  • Time schedule and contact persons during the re-entry phase
  •  Employee development needs 

 Your re-entry

For your re-entry, the following are offered:

  • a handover meeting and introduction to the activities by your contact persons
  • the arrangement of agreed follow-up appointments with your manager during the re-entry phase.

On this website you can find information about the offers of the UFZ, which support your re-entry. 

If you are caring for close relatives and need information, please contact the Personnel Service (Intranet) and the Family Support Office. Together, we will look for the best solution for your case so that the compatibility of care work and paid work can succeed as well as possible for you.


You have a right to early and comprehensive advice from the care advisors of the care insurance. If you have any questions, you can also contact the local care support services. Furthermore, you can obtain information via the citizens' hotline of the Federal Ministry of Health (030 3406066-02) or via the care hotline of the Federal Ministry of Family Affairs (030 20179313).

For information on dementia, contact the dementia counseling service in your city or the local Alzheimer's Association.

Close relatives under the Caregiver Leave Act and the Family Caregiver Leave Act are:

  • grandparents, parents, parents-in-law, stepparents,
  • spouses, life partners, partners in a marriage-like or life partnership-like community,
  • siblings, spouses of siblings and siblings of spouses, domestic partners of siblings, and siblings of domestic partners,
  • children, adopted or foster children, the children, adopted or foster children of the spouse or civil partner, children-in-law and grandchildren.

At the beginning of a care period, continued payment of wages is granted for a maximum of 10 days. The amount is based on the children's sick pay and amounts to 70% of the gross salary or a maximum of 90% of the net salary. The benefit must be applied for from the care insurance of the person to be cared for and a medical certificate must be submitted.

There is a legal entitlement to an interest-free loan to help cover living expenses. The loan covers up to half of the net salary shortfall due to the reduction in working hours and is paid out monthly. Employees apply directly to the Federal Office for Family and Civil Society Affairs (BAFzA). The loan is repayable in installments after the end of the caregiver/family caregiver leave.

Long-term care insurance benefits are paid to anyone whose independent lifestyle or abilities are likely to be so impaired for at least six months that they require nursing care. In addition, long-term care benefits are only granted to those who have submitted an application that has been approved by the care insurance. The authorised person can submit the application.

The specific benefits the person in need of care receives depend on the care degree. To determine the degree of care, an expert from the Medical Service (MD) visits the person in need of care at home and uses various modules and criteria to assess how independently the person can care for him/herself in everyday life. The care insurance determines the care level on the basis of this assessment.

You can find more detailed information on the assessment procedure to determine the need for care on the website if the Medical Service (German) .
It can be useful to have medical diagnoses, e.g. dementia. You can also keep a Care diary (German) about how independent the person is in certain areas of life.
If possible, arrange for your participation in the assessment.