Publication Details

Category Text Publication
Reference Category Journals
DOI 10.1111/jvs.13235
Licence creative commons licence
Title (Primary) ReSurveyEurope: A database of resurveyed vegetation plots in Europe
Author Knollová, I.; Chytrý, M.; Bruelheide, H.; Dullinger, S.; Jandt, U.; Bernhardt-Römermann, M.; Biurrun, I.; Roscher, C.; Rosenthal, G., et al.
Source Titel Journal of Vegetation Science
Year 2024
Department iDiv; PHYDIV
Volume 35
Issue 2
Page From e13235
Language englisch
Topic T5 Future Landscapes
Keywords biodiversity; community ecology; database; macroecology; monitoring; relevé; species richness; temporal change; time series; vascular plants; vegetation dynamics
Abstract Aims
We introduce ReSurveyEurope — a new data source of resurveyed vegetation plots in Europe, compiled by a collaborative network of vegetation scientists. We describe the scope of this initiative, provide an overview of currently available data, governance, data contribution rules, and accessibility. In addition, we outline further steps, including potential research questions.
Results ReSurveyEurope includes resurveyed vegetation plots from all habitats. Version 1.0 of ReSurveyEurope contains 283,135 observations (i.e., individual surveys of each plot) from 79,190 plots sampled in 449 independent resurvey projects. Of these, 62,139 (78%) are permanent plots, that is, marked in situ, or located with GPS, which allow for high spatial accuracy in resurvey. The remaining 17,051 (22%) plots are from studies in which plots from the initial survey could not be exactly relocated. Four data sets, which together account for 28,470 (36%) plots, provide only presence/absence information on plant species, while the remaining 50,720 (64%) plots contain abundance information (e.g., percentage cover or cover–abundance classes such as variants of the Braun-Blanquet scale). The oldest plots were sampled in 1911 in the Swiss Alps, while most plots were sampled between 1950 and 2020.
Conclusions ReSurveyEurope is a new resource to address a wide range of research questions on fine-scale changes in European vegetation. The initiative is devoted to an inclusive and transparent governance and data usage approach, based on slightly adapted rules of the well-established European Vegetation Archive (EVA). ReSurveyEurope data are ready for use, and proposals for analyses of the data set can be submitted at any time to the coordinators. Still, further data contributions are highly welcome.
Persistent UFZ Identifier
Knollová, I., Chytrý, M., Bruelheide, H., Dullinger, S., Jandt, U., Bernhardt-Römermann, M., Biurrun, I., Roscher, C., Rosenthal, G., et al. (2024):
ReSurveyEurope: A database of resurveyed vegetation plots in Europe
J. Veg. Sci. 35 (2), e13235 10.1111/jvs.13235