Publication Details

Category Text Publication
Reference Category Journals
DOI 10.1002/aheh.200500656
Title (Primary) Routine analysis of sediment pore water of high ionic strength
Author Herzsprung, P.; Bozau, E.; Büttner, O.; Duffek, A.; Friese, K. ORCID logo ; Koschorreck, M.; Schultze, M.; von Tümpling, W. ORCID logo ; Wendt-Potthoff, K. ORCID logo
Source Titel Acta Hydrochimica et Hydrobiologica
Year 2006
Department SEEFO; FLOEK
Volume 34
Issue 6
Page From 593
Page To 607
Language englisch
Keywords Analytical strategy; acidified mine pit lake; continuous flow analysis; ion chromatography; ICP-OES
Abstract Pore water of sediments plays an important role in aquatic systems as mediator and as the reactive zone between the sediment and surface water. Sediment pore waters with high ionic strength from acidified pit lakes were investigated to obtain information about the influence on the lake water quality. The analysis of soluble reactive phosphorus, nitrate, ammonium, silica, dissolved organic carbon, ferrous iron, sulfate, chloride, sodium, potassium, calcium, magnesium, manganese, and total dissolved iron was predetermined as the dataset required for evaluation of water quality. The data collection procedure was optimised by designing a methodology for stabilisation, dilution of pore water samples and adaptation of analytical methods. The developed methodology was evaluated with respect to the effort required in the laboratory under routine conditions. In the first round of analyses, 72% of 638 individual analyses from a random selection of pore water profiles were found to be within the calibration ranges. Remedial actions to handle the remaining 28% of invalid analytical results are exemplified. Differences between comparative analyses of some ions by continuous flow analysis, ion chromatography, and atomic emission spectroscopy were evaluated. The majority of results measured by ion chromatography differed on a highly significant level from results measured by atomic emission spectroscopy. Possible reasons, originating from the extreme sample matrix, are discussed. Finally, the designed methodology and the results of the method comparison are used to recommend the selection of analytical methods under specific conditions.
Persistent UFZ Identifier
Herzsprung, P., Bozau, E., Büttner, O., Duffek, A., Friese, K., Koschorreck, M., Schultze, M., von Tümpling, W., Wendt-Potthoff, K. (2006):
Routine analysis of sediment pore water of high ionic strength
Acta Hydrochim. Hydrobiol. 34 (6), 593 - 607 10.1002/aheh.200500656