Dr. Naeem Shahid
Department System Ecotoxicology
Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research - UFZ
04318 Leipzig, Germany
Phone: +49(3 41) 235 - 14 95
Fax: +49(341) 235 - 45 14 95
Naeem Shahid is an environmentalist with specialization in ecotoxicology. His research interests include adaptation of macroinvertebrates (physiological/genetic) to pesticides and associated fitness costs. To understand the effects of pesticides under different field scenarios, he is focusing on mixture toxicity, multiple stressors and long term/delayed effects of pesticides. Furthermore, he is working to identify the association between agrochemicals and the risk of a parasitic disease Schistosomiasis.
Project management of the DFG funded project "SENTINEL" on the association of freshwater pollution and the risk of schistosomiasis transmission in Western Kenya in cooperation with icipe, KEMRI and RWTH Aachen University.
PhD at the Institute for Environmental Research (Biology V), RWTH Aachen, and the Department System Eco-toxicology, Helmholtz Center for Environmental Research – UFZ, Leipzig, Germany.
MS. Environmental Sciences at College of Earth and Environmental Sciences, University of the Punjab, Lahore, Pakistan.
PGD. Environmental Laws at University Law College, University of the Punjab, Lahore, Pakistan.
Research Associate, Department of Environmental Sciences, COMSATS Institute of Information Technology Vehari-Pakistan.
Environment Specialist, December, 2008 to May, 2011, SELCON, Environmental Techno legal firm Lahore-Pakistan.
- Siddique, A., Shahid, N., Liess, M., 2021. Multiple Stress Reduces the Advantage of Pesticide Adaptation. Environmental Science & Technology. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.est.1c02669
- Shahid, N., Rolle-Kampczyk, U., Siddique, A., von Bergen, M., Liess, M., 2021. Pesticide-induced metabolic changes are amplified by food stress. Science of the Total Environment 792, 148350. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2021.148350
- Liess, M., Henz, S., Shahid, N., 2020. Modeling the synergistic effects of toxicant mixtures. Environmental Sciences Europe 32, 119. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12302-020-00394-7
- Siddique, A., Liess, M., Shahid, N., Becker, J.M., 2020. Insecticides in agricultural streams exert pressure for adaptation but impair performance in Gammarus pulex at regulatory acceptable concentrations. Science of the Total Environment, 137750. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2020.137750
- Ashraf, M.R., Bakhat, H.F., Shah, G., Arshad, H.M., Mahmood, Q., Shahid, N., 2020. Role of Hydrophobicity in Bio-Accessibility of Environmental Pollutants Among Different Organisms. Polish Journal of Environmental Studies. https://doi.org/10.15244/pjoes/111578
- Sabeen, M., Mahmood, Q., Ahmad Bhatti, Z., Faridullah, Irshad, M., Bilal, M., Hayat, T., Irshad, U., Ali Akbar, T., Arslan, M., Shahid, N., 2019. Allium cepa assay based comparative study of selected vegetables and the chromosomal aberrations due to heavy metal accumulation. Saudi Journal of Biological Sciences. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2020.137750
- Shahid, N., Liess, M., Knillmann, S., 2019. Environmental stress increases synergistic effects of pesticide mixtures on Daphnia magna. Environmental Science & Technology. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.est.9b04293
- Hayat, A., Hussain, I., Soja, G., Iqbal, M., Shahid, N., Syed, J.H., Yousaf, S., 2019. Organic and chemical amendments positively modulate the bacterial proliferation for effective rhizoremediation of PCBs-contaminated soil. Ecological Engineering 138, 412-419. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoleng.2019.07.038
- Nguyen, P.M., Afzal, M., Ullah, I., Shahid, N., Baqar, M., Arslan, M., 2019. Removal of pharmaceuticals and personal care products using constructed wetlands: plant-bacteria synergism may enhance degradation efficiency. Environmental Science and Pollution Research. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11356-019-05320-w
- Bakhat, H.F., Zia, Z., Abbas, S., Hammad, H.M., Shah, G.M., Khalid, S., Shahid, N., Sajjad, M., Fahad, S., 2019. Factors controlling arsenic contamination and potential remediation measures in soil-plant systems. Groundwater for Sustainable Development, 100263. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gsd.2019.100263
- Abbas, S., Siddique, A., Shahid, N., Khan, R. T., & Fatima, W. (2018). Breast cancer risk associated with BRCA1/2 variants in the Pakistani population. Breast Cancer. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12282-018-0932-y
- Shahid N, Becker JM, Krauss M, Brack W, Liess M. 2018. Pesticide body burden of the crustacean Gammarus pulex as a measure of toxic pressure in agricultural streams. Environmental Science & Technology. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.est.8b01751
- Gulzar, F., Mahmood, Q., Bhatti, Z.A., Zeb, B.S., Shaheen, S., Hayat, T., Shahid, N., Zeb, T. 2018. Industrial Wastewater Treatment in Internal Circulation Bioreactor Followed by Wetlands Containing Emergent Plants and Algae. World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11274-018-2496-6
- Shahid, N., Becker, J.M., Krauss, M., Brack, W., Liess, M., 2018. Adaptation of Gammarus pulex to agricultural insecticide contamination in streams. Science of The Total Environment 621, pp. 479-485. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2017.11.220
- Firdous, S., Jin, W., Shahid, N., Bhatti, Z.A., Iqbal, A., Abbasi, U., Mahmood, Q., Ali, A., 2018. The performance of microbial fuel cells treating vegetable oil industrial wastewater. Environmental Technology & Innovation 10, 143-151. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eti.2018.02.006
- Khan, R. T., Siddique, A., Shahid, N., Khokhar, S., Fatima, W. 2018. Breast cancer risk associated with genes encoding DNA repair MRN complex: A study from Punjab, Pakistan. Breast Cancer. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12282-018-0837-9
- Arslan, M., Ullah, I., Müller, J. A., Shahid, N., Afzal, M., 2017. Organic Micropollutants in the Environment: Ecotoxicity Potential and Methods for Remediation. Enhancing Cleanup of Environmental Pollutants. Springer, pp. 65-99. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-55426-6_5
- Iqbal, H. H., Shahid, N., Qadir, A., Ahmad, S. R., Sarwar, S., Ashraf, M. R., Arshad, H. M., Masood, N., 2017. Hydrological and Ichthyological Impact Assessment of Rasul Barrage, River Jhelum, Pakistan. Polish Journal of Environ Studies 26 (1) 107-114. https://doi.org/10.15244/pjoes/63877
- Shah, G., Shah, G., Groot, J., Raza, M., Shahid, N., Lantinga, E., 2016. Maize nitrogen recovery and dry matter production as affected by application of solid cattle manure subjected to various storage conditions. Journal of soil science and plant nutrition 16, 591-603. https://doi.org/10.4067/S0718-95162016005000030
- Tabassum, S., Shahid, N., Shafiq, M., Mumtaz, M., Arslan, M., Wang, J. 2016. An oxidative stress response of Mirabilis jalapa to exhausted engine oil (EEO) during Phytoremediation. Polish Journal of Environ Studies.. 25 (6) 2581–2587. https://doi.org/10.15244/pjoes/61960
- Shahid, M., Dumat, C., Pourrutd, B., Abbas, G., Shahid, N., Pinelli, E. 2015. Role of Metal Speciation in Lead-Induced Oxidative Stress to Vicia faba Roots. Russ. J. Plant. Physl., 62(4) 448–454. https://doi.org/10.1134/S1021443715040159
- Shahid, N., Zia, Z., Shahid, M., Siddique, F., Anwar, S., Shah, G. M. and Ashraf, M. R. 2015. Assessing drinking water quality in Punjab, Pakistan. Polish Journal of Environ Studies 24(6) 2597-2606. https://doi.org/10.15244/pjoes/41533
- Shahid, M., Khalid, S., Abbas, G., Shahid, N., Nadeem, M., Sabir, M., Aslam, M., Dumat, C., 2015. Heavy metal stress and crop productivity. Crop Production and Global Environmental Issues. Springer, pp. 1-25. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-23162-4_1