Block course: Physical Limnology 2017
This course will be held on the grounds of the Heidelberg University:
campus: Im Neuenheimer Feld; Building
during the time 27th 9:30 to 31st March 2017 13:00.
- Stratification and circulation of lakes, Navier Stokes – eq.
– solutes, solubility, electrical conductivity
– density, stability and mixing, deep water renewal
– surface waves, seiche, interfacial waves
– internal waves
- properties of internal waves
- Permanent stratification, meromixis, climate sensitivity
- Turbulence I: Introduction to turbulence
- Turbulence II: Spectral characteristics and measurements
- Turbulence III: Momentum and mass transport in turbulent boundary layers
- Turbulence IV: Living in turbulence: biological – physical interactions
– Pecularities of life in the aquatic environment
– Cyclical changes of environmental factors and their influence on plankton communites
– Representing ecology in numerical lake models
Dr. Bertram Boehrer: Lecturer at Uni-Heidelberg, Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research - UFZ, Magdeburg
Prof. Dr. Andreas Lorke: Professor at University of Landau-Koblenz
Dr. Marieke Frassl: Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research - UFZ, Magdeburg
We offer this course FREE of charge also to external participants. Attendees must only fund their travel and accomodation by themselves. To enrol for the course, please write an email to Bertram.Boehrer@ufz.de. Students and scientists interested in attending the course are requested to enrol by email by 3rd Feb. 2017: stating name, scientific affiliation / university. Heidelberg students are also requested to send their student number. For any further information, please address Bertram.Boehrer@ufz.de . There will be more information closer to the course.
Thanks to our sponsors we can offer the course free of charge. Participants only need to fund their travel and accomodation themselves.