Research for the Environment
Professor Sing C. Chew
AREAS OF EXPERTISE & RESEARCH
- Comparative Historical Analysis
- Human Ecology and Deforestation
- Social Theory
- World Development and Globalization
- Ph.D. (Sociology) Carleton University, Ottawa, Canada 1986
- M.A. (Sociology) Queen's University, Kingston, Canada 1977
- B.A. (Hons.) (Summa cum Laude) McMaster University, Hamilton, Canada 1975
- Senior Guest Scientist (Adjunct), Department of Urban and Environmental Sociology, Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research, Leipzig, Germany, 2005-Present
- Full Professor, Department of Sociology, Humboldt State University, 1993-Present
- Associate Professor, Department of Sociology, Humboldt State University, 1990-1992
- Lecturer, Department of Sociology and Anthropology, Carleton University, 1980-1982
- Visiting International Scholar, Cinnamon College, National University of Singapore, Singapore, fall 2012
- Visiting Scholar, Division of Social Sciences, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Hong Kong 2007
- Visiting Professor, Human Ecology Division, Lund University, Sweden 1999
- Research Fellow, Institute of Southeast Asian Studies (ISEAS), Singapore 1996
- Visiting Professor, Department of Sociology, University of Hawaii 1996
- Planning Officer, Office of Planning and Evaluation, President's Office, International Development Research Centre (IDRC), Ottawa, Canada 1982-1985
- Research Officer, Office of Vice-President (Resources), Executive Office, International Development Research Centre (IDRC), Ottawa, Canada 1985-1986
- Associate Director, Department of Electronic Data Processing Services, International Development Research Centre (IDRC), Ottawa, Canada 1987
- Associate Director, Office of Vice-President (Resources), Executive Office, International Development Research Centre (IDRC), Ottawa, Canada, 1988-1990.
- Editor, Humboldt Journal of Social Relations, Humboldt State University, 1993-2004
- Founding Director, Center for Applied Social Analysis and Education, Humboldt State University, 1993-2000
- Chair, Department of Sociology, Humboldt State University, 1999-2004
- Founding Editor, Nature and Culture, 2005-Present
Thanks a lot and goodbye
Pál Balázs was awarded a
scholarship from the Deutsche Bundesstiftung Umwelt and within the last 12 months has analyzed the connectivity of green spaces in the city of Leipzig. In November he will return to Hungary and finish his doctorate at the University of Sopron.
It was great to work with Pál and we wish him all the best for the future!
Head of the Department Prof. Dr. Sigrun Kabisch was interviewed by Resonator about social science research questions.
Resonator is a podcast of the Helmholtz Association. Holger Klein talks to researchers about their research - and about themselves.
The Department Congratulates!