Locations and directions
The Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research is a limited liability company (GmbH). The head office and main research base for the company's operations is in Leipzig. Besides Leipzig, the UFZ scientists carry out their environenmental research at the locations at Halle, Magdeburg, Bad Lauchstädt (Experimental fields), and Falkenberg (Lysimeter station).
On the A14 motorway, take the exit marked "Leipzig-Ost" and head towards Stadtzentrum (City Centre).
From Leipzig Central Station, take the No. 3/3E (Direction "Sommerfeld" or "Taucha"). After about 15 minutes alight at stop "Torgauer/ Permoserstraße", cross the street and take the street Permoserstraße in eastern direction. After about 200 metres you will find the main entrance of the UFZ.
For your information:
Travel Service Information of the German Railway
From Leipzig/Halle Airport, take the train (regional express) to the Leipzig Central Station (3,20 Euros one-way). From the Central Station, take No. 3 (heading for "Sommerfeld") or No. 13 (heading for "Taucha")
A taxi from Leipzig Central Station to the UFZ will cost about EURO 13.
The fare from Leipzig-Halle Airport is about EURO 42.
- Driving on the A14 motorway, take the Halle / Peißen exit, then turn on to the B100 highway towards Halle Zentrum.
- After having passed the town sign, follow the road until you get to the Dessauer Straße crossroads and turn left. Bear left immediately after the railway crossing, continuing to follow the direction Halle Zentrum.
- Follow the main road, take the Eisleben exit (B80) and turn left into Magdeburger Straße after about 100 metres. After about another 200 metres you will get to the Riebeckplatz roundabout. Take the first road on your right (Franckestraße) towards Eisleben / Halle-Neustadt (B80)
- This will lead you onto the fly-over crossing the River Saale. Take the Peißnitz exit and turn right into Gimritzer Damm
- Follow the road and pass the traffic lights on Weinbergweg. You will see the U-shaped UFZ building on your left. Go past this building, make a U turn and turn right on to the campus. Continue until you reach the UFZ building.
Take the western exit at the main station, then tram No. 4 or 5 (direction Kröllwitz). Alight at the Straßburger Weg stop.
The journey takes about 20 min (details www.havag.de).
Approximate cost from Halle main station to UFZ - 10 Euros
Approximate cost from Leipzig/Halle airport to UFZ - 40 Euros
On the A2 motorway, take the exit "Magdeburg-Zentrum", then drive along the following roads: Magdeburger Ring / Damaschkeplatz / Ernst-Reuter-Allee / Neue Strombrücke / Zollbrücke / Anna-Ebert-Brücke. After this, take the 2nd street on the left.
By public transport
1. Take the No.6 tram in front of the railway station towards Cracau and alight at the stop "Zollbrücke". From there, it is about a five minutes walk to the UFZ.
2. Or take the No.6 tram in front of the railway station and alight at the stop "Zollbrücke". There, take the No. 5 tram for one station and step off at the stop "Heumarkt". From there, it is about a three minutes walk to the UFZ.
A taxi from the railway station to the UFZ cost approximately 10 EUR, and from Magdeburg Airport approximately 15 EUR.