PD Dr. Matthias Liess
Department System Ecotoxicology
UFZ - Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research
04318 Leipzig, Germany
phone: +49(3 41)2 35 1578
fax: +49(3 41)2 35-45 1578
I am an ecologist assessing and forecasting effects of toxicants and environmental stressors in aquatic ecosystems.
My interest is the understanding of mechanisms determining the behaviour of biological systems.
The results obtained are used to provide advice for the risk assessment and management of toxicants. This includes the assessment of long-term effects of low toxicants doses, the development of the SPEAR indicator system and the sustainable control of mosquitos.
I published my results in more than 90 ISI listed publications cited more than 1500 times.
85. Kattwinkel M, Kühne JV, Foit K, Liess M. 2011. Climate change, agricultural insecticide exposure, and risk for freshwater communities. Ecological applications. 21 (6), 2068–2081.
84. Liess M, Beketov M. 2011. Traits and stress - keys to identify community effects of low levels of toxicants in test systems. Ecotoxicology. 20(6). 1328-1340.
Open access: http://www.springerlink.com/content/u1805uh1l156v467/fulltext.pdf
82. Reynaldi S, Meiser M. Liess M. 2011. Effects of the pyrethroid fenvalerate on the alarm response and on the vulnerability of the mosquito larva Culex pipiens molestus to the predator Notonecta glauca. Aquatic Toxicology. 104(1-2). 56-60.
80. Duquesne S, Kroeger I, Kutyniok M, Liess, M 2011. The potential of cladocerans as controphic competitors of the mosquito Culex pipiens, J Medical Entomology 48(3): 554-560.
79. Stampfli NC, Knillmann S, Liess M, Beketov MA. 2011. Environmental context determines community sensitivity of freshwater zooplankton to a pesticide. Aquatic Toxicology. 104(1-2), 116-120.
76. Meyabeme A, Duquesne S, Liess, M. 2010. Influence of competing and predatory invertebrate taxa on larval populations of mosquitoes in temporary ponds of wetland areas in Germany. Journal of Vector Ecology 35 (2): 419-427.
74. Foit K, Chatzinotas A, Liess M 2010. Short-term disturbance of a grazer has long-term effects on bacterial communities - Relevance of trophic interactions for recovery from pesticide effects. Aquatic Toxicology 99, 205-211.
73. Liess M, Foit K. 2010. Intraspecific competition delays recovery of population structure. Aquatic Toxicology. 97, 15-22.
71. Beketov M, Foit K, Schäfer RB, Schriever CA, Sacchi A, Capri E, Biggs JP, Wells C, Liess M. 2009. SPEAR indicates pesticide effects in streams - comparative use of species- and family-level biomonitoring data. Environmental Pollution. 57, 1841-1848.
69. Beketov M, Schäfer R, Marwitz A, Paschke, A, Liess M. 2008. Long-term stream invertebrate community alterations induced by the insecticide thiacloprid: effect concentrations and recovery dynamics. Science of the Total Environment. 405, 96-108.
68. Liess M, Schäfer R, Schriever C. 2008. The footprint of pesticide stress in communities - species traits reveal community effects of toxicants. Science of the Total Environment, 406, 484-490.
67. Beketov M, Liess M. 2008. An indicator for effects of organic toxicants on lotic invertebrate communities: independence of confounding environmental factors over an extensive river continuum. Environmental Pollution. 980-987.
57. Beketov M, Liess M. 2007. Predation risk perception and food scarcity induces alterations of life cycle traits of the mosquito Culex pipiens. Ecological Entomology, 32, 4, 405-410.
56. Schäfer R, Caquet T, Siimes K, Mueller, R, Lagadic L, Liess M. 2007. Effects of pesticides on community structure and ecosystem functions in agricultural streams of three biogeographical regions in Europe. Science of the Total Environment. 382, 2-3, 272-285.
52. Beketov M, Liess M. 2006. The influence of predation on the chronic response of Artemia sp. populations to a toxicant. Journal of Applied Ecology. 43, 1069-1074.
49. Liess M, Pieters B, Duquesne S. 2006. Long-term signal of population disturbance after pulse exposure to an insecticide - rapid recovery of abundance, persistent alteration of structure. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry. 25 (5) 1326-1331.
47. Pieters B, Liess, M. 2006. Maternal nutritional state determines the sensitivity of Daphnia magna offspring to short-term Fenvalerate exposure. Aquatic Toxicology. 76, 268-277.
46. Pieters B, Paschke A, Reynaldi S, Kraak M, Admiraal W, Liess M. 2005. Influence of food limitation on the effects of fenvalerate pulse exposure on the life history and population growth rate of Daphnia magna. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry. 24, (9): 2254-2259.
45. Reynaldi S, Liess M. 2005. Influence of duration of exposure to the pyrethroid fenvalerate on sublethal responses and recovery of Daphnia magna Straus. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry. 24, (5): 1160-1164
44. Beketov MA, Liess M. 2005. Acute contamination with Esfenvalerate and food limitation: Chronic effects on the mayfly Cloeon dipterum. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry. 24, (5) 1281–1286.
43. Liess M, von der Ohe PC 2005. Analyzing effects of pesticides on invertebrate communities in streams. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry. 24, (4): 954-965.
38. Von der Ohe PC, Liess M. 2004. Relative sensitivity distribution of aquatic invertebrates to organic and metal compounds. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry. 23,1, 150-156.
35. Duquesne S, & Liess M, 2003. Increased sensitivity of the macroinvertebrate Paramorea walkeri to heavy-metal contamination in the presence of solar UV radiation in Antarctic shoreline waters, Marine Ecology Progress Series, 255, 183-191.
30. Liess, M., 2002. Population response to toxicants is altered by intraspecific interaction. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry. 21 (1), 138-142.
27. Liess, M., Champeau, O., Riddle, M., Schulz, R. & S. Duquesne, 2001. Combined effects of Ultraviolet-B radiation and food shortage on the sensitivity of the Antarctic amphipod Paramoera walkeri to copper. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, 20 (9), 2088-2092.
26. Wogram, J. & Liess, M, 2001. Rank ordering of macroinvertebrate species sensitivity to toxic compounds, by comparison with that of Daphnia magna. Bulletin of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology. 67, 360-367.
17. Duquesne, S., M. Riddle, R. Schulz & Liess, M, 2000. Effects of contaminants in the Antarctic environment- Potential of Paramorea walkeri as a biological indicator for Antarctic ecosystems based on toxicity and bioacccumulation of various contaminants. Aquatic Toxicology, 49, 131-143.
14. Liess, M. & R. Schulz, 1999. Linking insecticide contamination and population response in an agricultural stream. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, 18 (9): 1948-1955.
12. Liess, M., R. Schulz, M.H.-D. Liess, B. Rother & R. Kreuzig, 1999. Determination of insecticide contamination in agricultural headwater streams. Water Research 33: 239-247.
4. Liess, M. & R. Schulz, 1996. Chronic effects of short-term contamination with the pyrethroid insecticide fenvalerate on the caddisfly Limnephilus lunatus. Hydrobiologia 324: 99-106.
2. Liess, M., 1994. Pesticide impact on macroinvertebrate communites of running waters in agricultural ecosystems. Proc. intern. Assoc. Theor. Appl. Limnol. 2060-2062.
1. Liess, M., R. Schulz & U. Werner, 1993. Macroinvertebrate Dynamics in Ditches as Indicator for Surface Water Runoff - An Ecological Aspect for Assessment of Agricultural Impact on Running Water Ecosystems. Modelling of Geo-Biosphere Processes 2: 279-292.