The HIGRADE team is happy to support you regarding any questions and challenges you may encounter during your doctorate. We offer confidential consultations and we also serve as a general information and contact point for a variety of issues. Don't hesitate to contact us, no matter how big or small your query may be!
We will be happy to help you, or assist to find the right contact point inside or outside UFZ!
We serve as a contact point for further training, career development, funding and general questions during your PhD. If you have any organizational questions with regard to HIGRADE or doing your PhD project at the UFZ, please feel free to contact the HIGRADE team.
You can contact us be email (), call, or stop by at our office!
Are you feeling stuck? Are you unsure how to handle a conflict situation? Do you have doubts about pursuing your PhD? Or.... ? Let's talk about it!
If you face any difficulties during your doctorate, please don't hesitate to contact us:
- In urgent cases: Please schedule an individual appointment with
- In less urgent cases: Come to our monthly confidential consultation hours for an initial short conversation about your situation! Please contact to reserve a timeslot.
Dates and Times for our upcoming confidential consultation hours at UFZ Leipzig:
- Friday, March, 29th, 9 am - 12 pm
- Friday, April, 26th, 9 am - 12 pm
- Friday, May, 24th, 9 am - 12 pm
- Friday, June, 28th, 9 am - 12 pm
- Friday, July, 26th, 9 am - 12 pm
Confidential consultations at UFZ Halle and Magdeburg can be arranged upon request.
Please note: For questions about organisational issues, like how to apply for travel funding or how to get HIGRADE days for external courses, please contact
Doing a PhD surely is a challenge. There will be stressful times and maybe unexpected events that put you in a difficult situation. If you feel like the pressure is getting too much on your shoulders, don't hesitate to seek professional advice!
Articles on mental health in science:
- "Science careers and mental health" Nature Collection, 30 April 2018
- "Evidence for a mental health crisis in graduate education" Nature Biotechnology, Volume 36, pages 282–284 (2018)
- "Work organization and mental health problems in PhD students" Research Policy, Volume 46, Issue 4, pages 868-879 (2017)
Other UFZ Services
The UFZ offers a great number of services for its employees. Services which might be relevant for doctoral researchers are listed below.
Family Support Office internal link
Ombudspersons / Good Scientific Practice internal link