Photo: Trueffelpix/


Supervision is one of the most important elements of HIGRADE, and we aim at fostering cooperative and respectful working relationships, promoting environmental awareness and responsibility as well as enabling interdisciplinary work in an international environment with the aim of solving complex environmental problems. 

Each doctoral researcher at the UFZ is supported by an advisory committee. The committee consists of 3-4 advisors: the 1st and 2nd advisor from UFZ, and an additional university advisor, if neither UFZ advisor holds a university position with the capacity to award doctoral degrees (more). Further, the doctoral researcher can include a person of trust or mentor (more). A supervision agreement is signed by all parties within the first five months of the PhD project, including a jointly developed, comprehensive work plan and a clarification of roles and responsibilities of all parties. Regular meetings with the advisory committee are highly recommended to ensure the continuous support and progress of the doctoral researcher.

Moreover, doctoral researchers at UFZ are closely integrated in the research environment of their department(s). They are members of small working groups and actively take part in regular internal seminars and have the opportunity to present their work and engage in scientific discussions.

If you have further questions concerning your supervision, please do not hesitate to contact HIGRADE .    

More Information

Regulations for Doctoral Researchers and Advisors at the UFZ
Link (UFZ internal)

UFZ Rules on Good Scientific Practice

Link (UFZ internal)

University Doctoral Degree Regulations (Promotionsordnungen)

Please note that in addition to the participation in HIGRADE, doctoral researchers have to get enrolled in the university/faculty, which will award the doctoral degree. Further information on the university doctoral degree regulations (Promotionsordnungen) can be found here.

University Information for Doctoral Candidates

Please also have a look at general guides and information provided by the university you are enrolled in, e.g. useful guides of graduate academies:

Further information on the guidelines of the Helmholtz Association can be found here.