Susanne has a degree in humanities and strong inter- and transdisciplinary background. She is an expert in science communication and has profound knowledge of citizen science communication.
Further information on her Vita. Please click for download:
Other Professional Activities
International citizen science networking acitivities
Member of advisory board and active member of the expert panel for the “Top Citizen Science” funding initiative of the Austrian Science Fund (FWF) and the Austrian Federal Ministry of Science, Research and Economy (BMWFW)
- Charter member of the European Citizen Science Association (ECSA)
- Member of the Citizen Science Association (CSA), US
- Member of the Australian Citizen Science Association (ACSA)
Susanne’s research focuses on aims, capacities and experiences of citizen science in the German, European and international context. She investigates conditions and changes of international science culture in regard of co-design and co-production of scientific research.
Susanne got fascinated by citizen science in her role as science communicator for the German mosquito atlas. Being far more than a Mayfly, the success of the project led Susanne to discover the whole world of citizen science around the globe. Being a charter member of the European Citizen Science Association, she also is a member of the US Citizen Science Association as well as ACSA. Not surprisingly, she is especially interested in strengthening international citizen science networks through collaborative research. She organised the First International ECSA Conference in May in Germany’s capital Berlin, and as trained science communicator she is researching with main focus on citizen science communication.
You could use our publication index for further requests.
Hecker, S., Luckas, M., Brandt, M., Kikillus, H., Leonhard, C., Marenbach, I., Schiele, B., Sieber, A., Van Vliet, A. & Wende, W. , Stories can change the world – The innovative potential of citizen science communication. In: S. Hecker, M. Haklay, A. Bowser, Z. Makuch, J. Vogel, A. Bonn (eds), Citizen Science – Innovation in Open Science, Society and Policy, UCL Press, London (in press).
- Hecker, S., Garbe, L., Bonn, A., Citizen Science in Europe – A snapshot. In: S. Hecker, M. Haklay, A. Bowser, Z. Makuch, J. Vogel, A. Bonn (eds), Citizen Science – Innovation in Open Science, Society and Policy, UCL Press, London (in press).
- S. Hecker, M. Haklay, A. Bowser, Z. Makuch, J. Vogel, A. Bonn (eds), Citizen Science – Innovation in Open Science, Society and Policy, UCL Press, London (in press).
- Hecker, S. et al., The Mosquito Atlas – From a nuisance to added value. Citizen science in entomology. Mitteilungen Deutsche Gesellschaft für allgemeine und angewandte Etymologie 01/2014; 19:131.
- From the Periphery to the Centre – Impressions from the 1st international Conference on Citizen Science in San Jose, California, US, 11-12 February 2015 01.03.2015, Katrin Vohland, Susanne Hecker, Claudia Göbel. European Citizen Science Association. http://www.ecsa.citizen-science.net