Pallav Kumar SHRESTHA
PhD Research Theme
- The aim of my PhD is to assist water managers in semi arid regions by development of a seasonal hydrological forecasting system prototype. The prototype would forecast basin hydrology at 1 to 6 months lead time which would facilitate the water managers (mainly dam operators & farmers) in their decision making. My funding project - Seasonal Water Management (SaWaM) (https://www.ufz.de/index.php?en=43217) - encompasses eight basins in five focus regions (Brazil, Ecuador, Iran, Sudan, West Africa) across three continents.
- With large fluctuations in annual precipitation, one of the key anthropogenic feature of semi-arid regions is seasonal storage and use of water. A reliable hydrological forecast system at such regions require accurate representation of the existing and planned lake/regulated-hydrology systems. In this regard, the first objective of my PhD is improvement of the in-house mesoscale hydrological model (mHM, https://www.ufz.de/index.php?en=40114) with development of mHM lake module (mLM).
Publications and Software
- Shrestha S, Bhatta B, Shrestha M and Shrestha PK (2018). Integrated assessment of the climate and landuse change impact on hydrology and water quality in the Songkhram River Basin, Thailand. Science of the Total Environment. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2018.06.306
- Shrestha PK, Shakya NM, Pandey VP, Birkinshaw, SJ and Shrestha S (2017). Model-based Estimation of Land Subsidence in Kathmandu Valley, Nepal. Geomatics, Natural Hazard and Risk.
- Shrestha PK, Birkinshaw SJ and Shrestha, S (2017). Parallel execution with Automated Changes (PAC) module for SHETRAN. http://research.ncl.ac.uk/shetran/PAC.htm [Language: Linux bash]
- Shrestha M, Acharya S and Shrestha PK (2017). Bias Correction of climate models for hydrological modeling - are simple methods still useful? Meteorological Applications.
- Shrestha S, Shrestha M and Shrestha PK (2017). Evaluation of SWAT models performance to simulate river discharge in Himalayan and tropical basins of Asia. Hydrology Research.
- Shrestha PK (2016). SWAT Calibration Helper v1.0. VBA tailored Microsoft Excel Worksheet. Research Gate. https://doi.org/10.13140/RG.2.1.3760.1686 [Language: VBA]
- Aung MT, Shrestha S, Weesakul S and Shrestha PK (2016). Multi-model Climate Change Projections for Belu River Basin, Myanmar under Representative Concentration Pathways. Journal of Earth Science and Climate Change (7:1). http://dx.doi.org/10.4172/2157-7617.1000323
- Shrestha PK, Samaniego L, Rakovec O, Thober S and Kumar R. Augmenting meso-scale hydrological model (mHM) for seasonal forecasting of lake-hydrology systems. European Geosciences Union General Assembly (EGU). 8 - 13 Apr 2018, Vienna.
- Shrestha PK, Shrestha S and Ninsawat S. Satellite based sub-daily downscaling of gauged rainfall for flood analysis via fully distributed hydrological model. THA2017 International Conference on Water Management and Climate Change towards Asias Water-Energy-Food Nexus. 25 - 27 Jan 2017, Bangkok.
- Shrestha PK, Shrestha S and Ninsawat S. Diurnal disaggregation of precipitation measurements with TRMM how good of an alternative is it to subdaily observations for distributed hydrological modeling? 1st Symposium on Tonle Sap Water Environment. 26 – 27 August, 2016. Phnom Penh, Cambodia.
- Shrestha PK, Shakya NM, Pandey VP, Birkinshaw SJ and Shrestha S. Model Based Land Subsidence in Kathmandu Valley, Nepal. International Conference on Resilience of Groundwater Systems to Climate Change and Human Development 8-11 February, 2016. Bangkok.
- Shrestha PK and Shrestha S. Multivariate Evaluation of a physically based Distributed Hydrological Model in Snow-fed River Basins of in Hindu Kush Himalaya Region. 2nd International Young Researchers Workshop on River Basin Environment and Management. 5 – 6 January, 2015, Hanoi.
- Shrestha D, Gyawali D, Basnyat DB and Shrestha PK. Bias Correction of Climate Change Projections on Koshi Basin. International conference on Climate Change, Water Resources and Disasters in Mountainous Regions: Building Resilience to Changing Climate. 27 – 29 Nov, 2013, Nepal.
- Shrestha PK, Shakya NM, Pandey VP, and Birkinshaw SJ. Distributed groundwater modeling for analysis of landslide hazard. 4th National Symposium on Challenges and opportunities for Sustainable Management of Groundwater Resources of Kathmandu Valley, Nepal, 22 st Mar, 2013, Nepal.