Dr. Gabriele Baroni
- Hydrological models and scaling effects
- Soil moisture and local controls
- Cosmic-Ray neutron sensing
- Sensitivity analysis
- Data assimilation
- Agricultural water management and irrigation systems
Education and professional experiences
since 2014 Postdoctoral researcher
Department Computational Hydrosystems
Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research
& Guest at University of Potsdam (Germany)
2010 - 2014 Postdoctoral researcher/Lecturer
Institute of Earth and Environmental Sciences
University of Potsdam (Germany)
2007 - 2010 Scientific collaborations
Department of Agricultural Engineering
University of Milan (Italy)
2004- 2007 Ph.D in Agricultural Engineering
University of Milan (Italy)
1999 - 2004 Diploma in Environmental Sciences
University of Milan (Italy)
- Schrön, M., Köhli, M., Scheiffele, L., Iwema, J., Bogena, H.R., Lv, L., Martini, E., Baroni, G., Rosolem, R., Weimar, J., Mai, J., Cuntz, M., Rebmann, C., Oswald, S.E., Dietrich, P., Schmidt, U., Zacharias, S., 2017. Improving Calibration and Validation of Cosmic-Ray Neutron Sensors in the Light of Spatial Sensitivity – Theory and Evidence. Hydrol. Earth Syst. Sci. Discuss. 2017, 1–30. doi:10.5194/hess-2017-148
- Baroni, G., Zink, M., Kumar, R., Samaniego, L., Attinger, S., 2017. Effects of uncertainty in soil properties on simulated hydrological states and fluxes at different spatio-temporal scales. Hydrol. Earth Syst. Sci. 21, 2301–2320. doi:10.5194/hess-21-2301-2017. Link
- Schattan, P., Baroni, G., Oswald, S.E., Schöber, J., Fey, C., Kormann, C., Huttenlau, M., Achleitner, S., 2017. Continuous monitoring of snowpack dynamics in alpine terrain by above‐ground neutron sensing. Water Resources Research. doi:10.1002/2016WR020234. Link
- Ghasemizade, M., Baroni, G., Abbaspour, K., Schirmer, M., 2017. Combined analysis of time-varying sensitivity and identifiability indices to diagnose the response of a complex environmental model. Environmental Modelling & Software 88, 22–34. doi:10.1016/j.envsoft.2016.10.011. Link
- Baroni, G., Oswald, S.E., 2015. A scaling approach for the assessment of biomass changes and rainfall interception using cosmic-ray neutron sensing. Journal of Hydrology 525, 264–276. doi:10.1016/j.jhydrol.2015.03.053. Link
- Rivera Villarreyes, C. A., G. Baroni, and S. E. Oswald, 2014. Inverse Modelling of Cosmic-Ray Soil Moisture for Field-Scale Soil Hydraulic Parameters. European Journal of Soil Science. doi:10.1111/ejss.12162. Link
- Baroni, G., Tarantola, S., 2014. A General Probabilistic Framework for uncertainty and global sensitivity analysis of deterministic models: A hydrological case study. Environmental Modelling & Software (2014), 51, 26–34. DOI: org/10.1016/j.envsoft.2013.09.022. Link
- Baroni, G., Ortuani, B., Facchi, A., Gandolfi, C., 2013. The role of vegetation and soil properties on the spatio-temporal variability of the surface soil moisture in a maize-cropped field. Journal of Hydrology, 489, 148-159. DOI: 10.1016/j.jhydrol.2013.03.007. Link
- Rivera Villarreyes, C.A., Baroni, G., Oswald, S.E., 2011. Integral quantification of seasonal soil moisture changes in farmland by cosmic-ray neutrons. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, 15, 3843–3859. DOI: 10.5194/hess-15-3843-2011. Link
- Baroni, G., Facchi, A., Gandolfi, C., Ortuani, B., Horeschi, D., van Dam, J.C., 2010. Uncertainty in the determination of soil hydraulic parameters and its influence on the performance of two hydrological models of different complexity. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, 14, 251–270. DOI: 10.5194/hess-14-251-2010. Link
Conference proceeding (non-ISI Peer-reviewed )
- Baroni G., Carnevale C., Finzi G., Pisoni E., Turrini E., Volta M., Uncertainty analysis in the air quality control systems (2013). 52nd IEEE Conference on Decision and Control (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers), Florence, Italy.
- Baroni G., Rivera Villarreyes C.A. and Oswald S.E., Measurements of soil water storage at field scale via Cosmic Ray neutron Sensing (2013). In: Gebbers, R.; Lück, E.; Rühlmann, J.(eds.): 3rd Global Workshop on Proximal Soil Sensing. Potsdam, (0947-7314), p. 34-38.
- Baroni, G. and S.Tarantola: A general probabilistic framework for uncertainty and sensitivity analysis of deterministic models. Proc. of the International Congress on Environmental Modelling and Software (iEMS): In Managing Resources of a Limited Planet, Leipzig, Germany, pp. 1029-1036. Eds.: R. Seppelt, A.A. Voinov, S. Lange, D. Bankamp. (ISBN: 978-88-9035-742-8).
- Baroni, G., Oswald, S.E., Rivera Villarreyes, C.A. A global uncertainty and sensitivity procedure for the assessment of groundwater recharge distribution via hydrological models (2011). Proc. of ModelCare Conference, IAHS-AISH Publication, 355-04.
- Facchi A., Baroni G., Boschetti M., Gandolfi C.: Comparing different methods for determining leaf area index in a maize crop (2010), Journal of Agr. Engineering, 1, 33-40.
- Baroni G., Facchi A., Gandolfi C., Ortuani B.: Analysis of the performances of methods for the evaluation of soil hydraulic parameters and of their application in two hydrological models. In Options Méditerranéennes, A 84 (2008). Irrigation in Mediterranean Agricultural: challenges and innovation for the next decades, pp. 213-222.
Teaching experiences and supervising
- Master thesis of Anna-Ulrike Lichtenfeld: Assessment of modelling tools for supporting irrigation scheduling in crop production in Germany. University of Potsdam, Germany, 2017.
- Master thesis of C.Budach: Identification of Drought Stress of Forest Trees using the Leaf Turgor Pressure. University of Potsdam, Germany, 2016.
- Master thesis of L.M.Scheiffele: Assessment of soil moisture dynamics on an irrigated maize field using cosmic ray neutron sensing. University of Potsdam, Germany, 2015.
- Master thesis of K.Mross: Estimation of the soil water balance by the combination of Cosmic ray neutron sensing and Eddy Covariance technique in an irrigated citrus orchard in the Tensift-Haouz basin (Morocco). University of Potsdam, Germany, 2014.
- Diploma thesis of C.M.Schweipert: Assessment of the irrigation practice in the Autlan valley (Jalisco, Mexico), University of Potsdam, Germany, 2012.
- Bachelor thesis of L.Ienco: Measurements of the soil moisture in the field and in laboratory, Faculty of Agriculture sciences, Milan, Italy, 2009; (in Italian).
- Bachelor thesis of P.Mulotto: Comparison of methods for the measurements of the saturated hydraulic conductivity of the soil. Faculty of Agriculture sciences, Milan, Italy, 2008; (in Italian).
- Bachelor thesis of J.Seghezzi: Qualification of rivers in natural habitat: the case of Quisa river (Bergamo), Faculty of Agriculture sciences, Milan, Italy, 2005; (in Italian).