WP 2: Urban Land Use, Urban Ecosystem Services
Urban dynamics such as (extreme) growth and shrinkage bring about fundamental challenges for urban land use and related changes. In order to achieve a sustainable urban development, it is crucial to shape urban land use changes, options and conflicts in a way that allows for a good provision of urban ecosystem services which support quality of life and environmental health.
Set against this context, WP 2 focuses on the following research questions:
- What are the main drivers of simultaneous urban shrinkage and (re)growth for changes in land use and provision of UES?
- Which interrelations between land use changes and provision of ecosystem services are relevant in shrinking and (re)growing cities? Where are synergies, trade-offs and conflicts?
- What options, measures and strategies can be recommended or applied in order to achieve sustainable urban land use and an appropriate provision of ecosystem services?
WP 2 considers for responding to these research questions a range of urban land uses such as housing, urban green spaces or urban brownfield sites that represent a specific challenge in shrinking cities. Spatially, WP 2 focuses on the TERENO area Leipzig-Halle as well as on different comparison urban regions in Europe and worldwide.
- TERENO (TERENO =TERrestrial ENviromental Observatoria)
- DIVERCITIES - Governing Urban Diversity: Creating Social Cohesion, Social Mobility and Economic Performance in Today's Hyper-diversified Cities
- COREBRO - Monitoring von Gewerbe- und Wohnbaubrachen in Leipzig - Potenziale für Renaturierung und Revitalisierung - (Monitoring of COmmercial and REsidential BROwnfields)
- Interval Study Grünau „Housing and Living in Leipzig-Grünau 2015“