Dr. rer. nat. Johannes Förster
Areas of Expertise & Research
- Ecosystem services and sustainable development
- Decision support at the science-policy interface
- Climate change mitigation and adaptation strategies
- The Economics of Ecosystems and Biodiversity (TEEB)
- Reducing Emissions from Deforestation and Degradation (REDD+)
Lecturer in Economics of Global Environmental Change, MSc Programme in Global Change Ecology, University of Bayreuth.
Researcher (UFZ lead person). Project: Methodenkonvention 3.0 – Weiterentwicklung und Erweiterung der Methodenkonvention zur Schätzung von Umweltkosten. Sachstandsbericht AP 2: Schätzung der Umweltkosten infolge Schädigung oder Zerstörung von Ökosystemen und Biodiversitätsverlust. Project lead: INFRAS. Financed by the Umweltbundesamt (UBA).
PhD candidate. “Assessing ecosystem services for supporting decision making”. Project: Global assessment of land use dynamics, greenhouse gas emissions and ecosystem services (GLUES). Financed by the BMBF Sustainable Land Management Programme. Completed.
Researcher. Project: scientific coordination of TEEB – The Economics of Ecosystems and Biodiversity, Project lead: United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP). Financed by European Union, Germany, Norway, and other donors. Continuous involvement including TEEB-follow up activities.
Junior Professional Associate, International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN), Gland, Switzerland.
Research assistant at Abisko Scientific Research Station (ANS), Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences, Sweden.
Intern at Fundacion Curiquingue (rainforest conservation), Ecuador.
Volunteer in nature conservation projects, Costa Rica.
Global Change Ecology (MSc), University of Bayreuth, Germany.
MSc thesis: "The Potential for Reducing Emissions from Deforestation and Degradation (REDD) in Western Ghana".
Physical Geography (MSc) and Biology (BSc), Umea University, Sweden
Landscape Ecology and Nature Conservation (including Environmental Economics), Undergraduate/Vordiplom, University of Greifswald, Germany
- Co-chair of International Relations Committee (IRC) of the Ecosystem Service Partnership (ESP)
- Member of the Steering Committee of the Ecosystem Service Partnership (ESP)
- Member of IUCN Commission on Ecosystem Management (CEM)
- Alumnus – Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes (German Academic Scholarship Foundation)
- 2010 – 2011: Member of review panel providing guidance on ecosystem services assessment and valuation of wetlands to the Government of Alberta, Canada. Project: Ecosystem Services Approach Pilot on Wetlands. Operationalizing an Ecosystem Service Approach within the Government of Alberta
Publications and Conferences