BIRDS & BLADES
- Project management: Prof. Dr. Klaus Henle,Dr. Reinhard Klenke, Prof. Dr. rer. nat. Tobias Kümmerle, Anushika Bose
- Staff responsible: Dr. Reinhard Klenke, Anushika Bose
- Cooperation partners: WMBD: UNEP/CMS, UNEP/AEWA
- Contact person: Dr. Reinhard Klenke, Anushika Bose
- Funded by: DAAD: German Academic Exchange Service
- Duration: October 2012-Present
In times of ever increasing global demand for energy, developing new and expanding existing renewable energy technologies are key when striving towards a low carbon future. Yet energy cannot be truly sustainable and nature friendly unless it fully takes biodiversity and, more specifically, birds into consideration. With the theme “Energy–make it bird-friendly!”, WMBD (UNEP/CMS/AEWA) 2015 recognizes the on-going research based on elucidating factors promoting bird collisions, specifically at wind turbine structures in the landscape.
The main aim of the research is to highlight the importance of smart and safe deployment of wind energy infrastructures that prevents and minimizes the direct collision of birds with the turbines.