The research group biosphere-atmosphere exchange is measuring and modelling the exchanges of energy, water and trace gases between the terrestrial biosphere and the atmosphere. We are currently installing 4 Eddy covariance towers in very different ecosystems: 1. above a beech forest, 2. on a moist grasland, 3. on an agricultural land, and 4. a below canopy tower in a Mediterranean cork oak forest. The group works in close collaboration with the ecohydrology group of the department CHS to measure the complete water cycles of the ecosystems.
The group is also establishing the Soil-Vegetation-Atmosphere Transfer (SVAT) model "CANVEG" on the measurement sites and extents the model by isotope diagnostics and the full water cycle, i.e. with the model "Soil-Litter-Iso". This is further used to understand how model formulations have to be adapted, if they are developped for ecosystems but shall be used on larger scales such as in land surface schemes. In this context we are investigating the use of the fluxes and auxiliary observations to constrain parameters in land surface schemes.
We are last but not least working on better descriptions of isotope diagnostics in climate models for more reliable representations of the carbon and water cycles at long time scales.
- Dubbert M, Cuntz M, Piayda A, Maguás C, Werner C, Partitioning evapotranspiration – Testing the Craig and Gordon model with field measurements of oxygen isotope ratios of evaporative fluxes, Journal of Hydrology 496, 142-153, 2013
- Mauder M, Cuntz M, Drüe C, Graf A, Rebmann C, Schmid HP, Schmidt M, Steinbrecher R, A strategy for quality and uncertainty assessment of long-term eddy-covariance measurements, Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 169, 122-135, 2013
- Zech A, Schneider C L, Attinger S, The Extended Thiem's solution: Including the impact of heterogeneity. Water Resour. Res., 48 (W10535), 2012
- Kalbacher T, Delfs J-O, Shao H, Wang W, Walther M, Samaniego L, Schneider C L, Kumar R, Musolff A, Centler F, Sun F, Hildebrandt A, Liedl R, Borchardt D, Krebs P, Kolditz O, The IWAS-ToolBox: Software coupling for an integrated water resources management. Environmental Earth Sciences (SI), 65 (5), 1367-1380, 2012
- Marañón-Jiménez S, Fernández-Ondoño E, Castro J. Charred wood remaining after a wildfire as a reservoir of macro- and micronutrients in a Mediterranean pine forest. International Journal of Wildland Fire. DOI: 10.1071/WF12030, 2012
- Marañón-Jiménez S, Castro J. Effect of decomposing burnt wood on soil fertility and nutrient availability in a Mediterranean ecosystem. Biogeochemistry. DOI: 10.1007/s10533-012-9744-x, 2012
- Haverd V, Lovell JL, Cuntz M, Jupp DLB, Newnham GJ, Sea W, The Canopy Semi-analytic Pgap And Radiative Transfer (CanSPART) model: Formulation and application, Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 160, 14-35, 2012
- Ciais P, Tagliabue A, Cuntz M, Bopp L, Scholze M, Hoffmann G, Lourantou A, Harrison SP, Prentice IC, Kelley DI, Koven C & Piao SL, Large inert carbon pool in the terrestrial biosphere during the Last Glacial Maximum, Nature Geoscience 5, 74-79, 2012
- Rebmann C, Kolle O, Heinesch B, Queck R, Ibrom A, Aubinet M 2012, Data Acquisition and Flux Calculations, In Eddy Covariance: A Practical Guide to Measurement and Data Analysis (Aubinet, M., Vesala, T., and Papale, D., Eds.), pp 59-84, Springer, Dordrecht, 2012
- Carminati A, Schneider C L, Moradi A B, Vetterlein D, Vogel H-J, Hildebrandt A, Weller U, Schößler L, Oswald, S E, How the Rhizosphere May Favor Water Availability to Roots, Vadose Zone Journal, 10(3), 988-998, 2011
- Kalbacher T, Schneider C L, Wang W, Hildebrandt A, Attinger S, Kolditz O, Modelling of Soil-Coupled 3D Water Uptake of Multiple Root Systems with Automatic Adaptive Time Step Control. Vadose Zone Journal, 10 (2), 727-735, 2011
- Castro J, Allen C D, Molina-Morales M, Marañón-Jiménez S, Sánchez-Miranda A, Zamora R. Salvage logging versus the use of Burt wood as a nurse object to promote postfire tree seedling establishment. Restoration Ecology 19, 537-544, 2011
- Marañón-Jiménez S, Castro J, Kowalski A S, Serrano-Ortiz P, Reverter B R, Sánchez-Cañete E P, Zamora R. Post-fire soil respiration in relation to burnt wood management in a Mediterranean mountain ecosystem. Forest Ecology and Management 261, 1436-1447, 2011
- Serrano-Ortiz P, Marañón-Jiménez S, Reverter B R, Sánchez-Cañete E P, Castro J, Zamora R, Kowalski A S. Post-fire salvage logging reduces carbon sequestration in Mediterranean coniferous forest. Forest Ecology and Management. 262, 2287-2296, 2011
- Cuntz M, A dent in the carbon’s gold standard, Nature 477, 547-548, 2011
- Werner C, Schnyder H, Cuntz M, Badeck F, Brugnoli E, Cohn B, Dawson T, Ghashghaie J, Grams TEE, Kayler Z, Keitel C, Lakatos M, Lee X, Máguas C, Ogée J, Rascher KG, Siegwolf R, Unger S, Welker J, Wingate L, Zeeman MJ & Gessler A, Linking carbon and water cycles using stable isotopes across scales: progress and challenges, Biogeosciences Discussions 8, 2659-2719, 2011
- Haverd V, Cuntz M, Griffith DW, Keitel C, Tadros C & Twining J, Measured deuterium in water vapour concentration does not improve the constraint on the partitioning of evapotranspiration in a tall forest canopy, as estimated using a soil vegetation atmosphere transfer model, Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 151, 645-654, 2011
- Kindler R, Siemens J, Kaiser K, Walmsley DC, Bernhofer C, Buchmann N, Cellier P, Eugster W, Gleixner G, Grünwald T, Heim A, Ibrom A, Jones SK, Jones M, Klumpp K, Kutsch W, Steenbergarsen, K, Lehuger S, Loubet B, McKenzie R, Moors E, Osborne B, Pilegaard K, Rebmann C, Saunders M, Schmidt MWI, Schrumpf M, Seyfferth J, Skiba U, Soussana J-F, Sutton MA, Tefs S, Vowinck EL, Zeeman MJ, Kaupenjohann M, Dissolved carbon leaching from soil is a crucial component of the net ecosystem carbon balance, Global Change Biol 17, 2011