Block course: Physical Limnology 2016
This course will be held on the grounds of the Heidelberg University:
campus: Im Neuenheimer Feld; Building
during the time 4th 9:30 to 8th April 2016 13:00.
- Stratification and circulation of lakes, Navier Stokes – eq.
– solutes, solubility, electrical conductivity
– density, stability and mixing, deep water renewal
– surface waves, seiche, interfacial waves
– internal waves
- properties of internal waves
- Permanent stratification, meromixis, climate sensitivity
- Turbulence I: Introduction to turbulence
- Turbulence II: Spectral characteristics and measurements
- Turbulence III: Momentum and mass transport in turbulent boundary layers
- Turbulence IV: Living in turbulence: biological – physical interactions
– gas exchange: ebullition and exchange at the surface
– Fluxes flow the sediments and through the thermocline
– precipitation and redissolution of chemicals in lacustrine waters
Dr. Bertram Boehrer: Lecturer at Uni-Heidelberg, Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research - UFZ, Magdeburg
Prof. Dr. Andreas Lorke: Professor at University of Landau-Koblenz
Prof. Daniel McGinnis: Prof at Institute F.A. Forel, Université de Genève, Switzerland
Dr. Martin Schultze: Helmholtz Centre for Environ. Res. – UFZ, Magdeburg
Thanks to sponsors, we can offer this course FREE of charge also to external participants. Attendees must only fund their travel and accomodation by themselves. To enrol for the course, please write an email to Bertram.Boehrer@ufz.de. Students and scientists interested in attending the course are requested to enrol by email by 2nd Feb. 2015: stating name, scientific affiliation / university. Heidelberg students are also requested to send their student number. For any further information, please address Bertram.Boehrer@ufz.de . There will be final notice on location and other last minute information briefly before the course.