Frequently Asked Questions about HIGRADE
(status: May 2014)
Credits (collecting, accounting,…)
How much workload corresponds to one credit point?
- According to the ECTS (European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System), 30 hours = 1 ECTS credit point.
How many credit points are needed to get the HIGRADE certificate?
When do I receive my HIGRADE certificate?
- The certificates will be handed out at the UFZ HIGRADE Conference (in spring and fall).
Can I collect credit points for any module I choose?
- No, a minimum number of credit points has to be collected from all four modules (Introductory, Advanced, Soft Skills and Transfer to Practice.)
How is it possible for HIGRADE scholarship holders to get credits for department colloquia (minimum once a year)?
- In case of the colloquia it will be decided individually. It is possible to get credits for a presentation at the UFZ or within the Departments at university. The supervisor has to confirm to verify the successful presentation.
In which way is it possible to get credits for external courses?
- Please provide a certificate including the hours of work. If this is not possible, provide a time schedule and confirmation of participation (e.g. email).
How can I make sure my credit points are accounted for?
- You have to list your activities in your profile on myHIGRADE. Please contact Friederike Buchholz if you have questions.
How can I confirm the participation on conferences?
- Conferences are only counted including presentation (send a copy of it from the Abstract Band) or a poster (send a copy of poster). If no Abstract Band is available, a confirmation of your supervisor is sufficient (signature).
What kind of activities count as "transfer to practice"?
- For instance: involvement in interdisciplinary research projects and outreach activities with active workshop participation (written confirmation); short-term research visits to other laboratories (min. 1 week); internships in industry or policy (e.g. authorities, ministries); Case Studies in HIGRADE. Please discuss possibilities matching your interests and your career plans with your supervisors. Please contact the HIGRADE office for funding opportunities and make sure that your activity will count for HIGRADE.
Funding and Travelling
Is it possible to collect the 500 € - HIGRADE funding over 3 years and spend it altogether in one year?
- Usually, you can spend maximum 500 Euro per year. If you want to apply for more money in exceptional cases, please specify it in your application. The approval depends on the
inportance and costs of the event and will be decided in dependence of
the financial situation of the HIGRADE budget.
When do I have to send the filled application form for HIGRADE Funding?
- Send the application form at least 6 weeks
before your trip to the HIGRADE Office. Please make sure you also enter your business trip into SAP and contact the UFZ travel management if you want them to organise tickets etc.
If I want the UFZ to pay seminar and conference fees in advance,
in case of a business trip funded by HIGRADE, which account do I enter
in the "Form for credit transfer of advanced training-/conference fee
and hotel bills”? Do I send the form to the travel cost office myself?
- You have to enter the HIGRADE account (HIGRADE - KST 1270).
The form has to be sent to the HIGRADE office together with the
application for the business trip. The HIGRADE office will send the form
together with the approval for the business trip to the UFZ travel management. Please check if the bank transfer was successful.
How are trips of HIGRADE doctoral researchers to HIGRADE courses at the UFZ sites funded?
- If you attend HIGRADE courses or other HIGRADE events at UFZ locations (Halle, Leipzig, Magdeburg), no application in advance is required.
Please specify a note in your SAP entry which course/event you attended. For all the other events in Germany and
abroad, please, follow the guideline for the Funding of Business Trip
through HIGRADE (see the guideline).
Can I carry out a research stay abroad for several weeks?
- Yes, it will be possible if your supervisors recommend you and
support such a research stay. HIGRADE cooperates with several
international activities (e.g. Marie Curie programme or the PEER network).
How can I become a member of HIGRADE?
- All employees at the UFZ with a contract for doctoral researchers are automatically in HIGRADE if they started after 1 October 2007.
Can I attend some of the workshop/meetings/scientific activities organised by HIGRADE though not a member HIGRADE?
- If you are not in HIGRADE and just want to join some of the courses, you will be put on a waiting list. If there are places available, you may participate. Note that we cannot supply you with any financial help for travelling in this case.
Is it possible take part in UFZ Soft Skills courses for for further training as a doctoral researcher?
- Normally, doctoral researchers should only take part on HIGRADE courses, with the exception of language courses. Please remember: language courses do not count in HIGRADE.
Do I have to fill in the doctoral list at the universities?
- For HIGRADE it is not a must, but it can have advantages for you: e.g. semester ticket or insurance. Please, look at the rules at your university and ask your supervisor.